New router

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
silverback
5StarLounger

New router

Post by silverback »

Warning : I hate networking with a passion, probably only exceeded by having to deal with printers. I accept this is because I don't understand them, but what really concerns me is the fact that, if I get it wrong, I'm cut off from the internet and then I can't ask Eileen's for help. That terrifies me.
This relates to Windows XP.
My ISP has sent me a new, :free:, router. (There's got to be an ulterior motive, but I haven't found out what it is yet)
The instructions are very clear on how to install the new router. Then it says I have to make the PC connect to it and instructs me to right click on the wireless network icon and then click View Available Wireless Networks, select the new wireless network, and click on Connect.

However, when I right click on the icon, I get an error message from Windows :
Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service........

I can find networks by right clicking and using Open Network Connections - this lists the networks but I can't see how to Connect; there's no button in this Open Network Connections display and right clicking on the network line does not bring up a context menu.

Can anyone advise on how to proceed, please?
Thanks
Silverback
PS : PLEASE don't suggest calling the support desk. I'm under enough stress as it is.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: New router

Post by jonwallace »

IIRC when my wife's laptop had a plug-in wireless network card that didn't use windows WZC, then it had its own configuration program. All you have to do :evilgrin: is translate the instructions for Windows network manager into the equivalent settings for your card. Again IIRC (memory is hazy), the system tray had a separate icon for the plug-in network adaptor and windows networking.

HTH
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube