Phone Network Extender

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Phone Network Extender

Post by hlewton »

I have a network extender in my home that boosts the signal for my cell phone, not the wireless signal for the Internet. Without it the signal inside is very weak. I have had it for going on 2 years now but a problem developed that caused my phone service technical support staff to access it and make a few software changes. This in turn led to another problem and eventually I had to unplug my wireless router to allow everything to renew itself. Resetting the network extender itself alone did not do the trick which according to the technician usually works. He explained that he has seen instances where just resetting the network extender does not release the IP it has been using. I don’t like having to unplug my wireless router for fear of losing the settings in it so my question is if I had used the command “ipconfig /renew” would that have released the IP used by this network extender and allowed it to renew as unplugging the wireless router apparently did? After unplugging and plugging the wireless router back in it did make the network router work again but if it ever happens again I would like to use that “ipconfig /renew” instead if it would make it work. It says when doing an “ipconfig /?” that “ipconfig /renew” …. Renew all adapters but I really don’t know what that means in terms of adapters.

I did an “ipconfig /all” to see if I could recognize anything that could be associated with the network extender but not knowing enough about any of this I could not make that decision but it appears to me that it is not mentioned.

If it helps I am attaching a screen shot of that command to see if anyone knows if it does in fact show that IP for the network extender.

Thanks
ipconfig.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hlewton on 31 May 2013, 12:49, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Phone Newtork Extender

Post by StuartR »

You would have to type the ipconfig/renew command on the network extender, not on the wireless router. Do you have a command line interface to this device? Even then I don't think this would do anything more than you had already done by resetting the network extender.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Phone Network Extender

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:You would have to type the ipconfig/renew command on the network extender, not on the wireless router. Do you have a command line interface to this device? Even then I don't think this would do anything more than you had already done by resetting the network extender.
No I don't have any command line interface for the network extender. The only reason I asked was because the tech had me unplug the network extender 3 or 4 times all to no avail but after unplugging the wireless router, which this network extender uses one of its ports, it then started working again so I though perhaps that ipconfig /renew may have worked. The tech called me back to see if everything was still up and running and he said essentially the same thing you did but didn't know the address the network extender was using. He is calling me back again next Monday so maybe he will know then but I'm not holding out any hope that will be the case. I guess as long as it continues to work, as in the past, I will be happy.

Thanks.
Last edited by hlewton on 31 May 2013, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
hlewton

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Log onto http://192.168.1.1 Try admin / password to log in.

Knowing which version of the Belkin Wireless Router you have, you should be able to find the default username / password to log into the router if the above doesn't work.

Once in, you should be able to see the IP address of the connected devices. (192.168.1.2 is your computer.)

You should also be able to change the internal IP range. Change it from 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255 to 192.168.0.* This will force all connected devices to require a new IP address, you'll need to reboot everything connected to the network.

This is the only way I know how to force new IP addresses on devices which can't be controlled by logging in to them.
Cheers, Claude.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you for that information.
Regards,
hlewton