Wireless Connection to Desktop Stopped Working

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Wireless Connection to Desktop Stopped Working

Post by BobH »

If this is placed in the wrong forum, I will understand if it is moved to a more appropriate one.

Over the weekend, I tried to set up a guest account on my Cisco-Linksys wireless router. I had to install the Cisco software on my newly built Win7 desktop because I could not find the guest account settings looking at the router settings with my browser. I was never able to get the Cisco software to access the router and ever since it tried to do so, I've been unable to connect from that machine. It was working with occasional intermittent drop outs before I tried using their software.

The router, a Cisco Linksys E1000, seems to be functioning correctly. I am cable-connected to it now. I am also able to connect wirelessly from our iPads and iPhones. I can see the router name when I display available networks but the Win 7 system will not connect to it. I have tried 2 different wifi network adapters, neither of which will connect. I've tried disabling and enabling each as it was installed. Still, I am unable to get Win 7 to connect to a network that it sees. I am never asked for a password and the connection indicator never lights up.

I suspect that the Cisco software changed some setting that I don't know about in Windows. I've looked at Device Manager and the adapters indicate that they are working properly when installed.

Can anyone suggest where I might find a solution to this? I called Cisco/Linksys but because the router is so old it is out of warranty and they will no longer offer support.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Wireless Connection to Desktop Stopped Working

Post by StuartR »

I moved this post from the Windows 7 forum to the Networking your home forum.

Try the following steps.
  • Deinstall the Cisco software on your PC
  • Delete the wireless network connection
    • Network and Sharing Center
    • Manage Wireless Networks
    • Select the wireless network that is giving you problems
    • Click remove on the menu at the top of the list
  • Try connecting again and see if it now prompts you for a password
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, StuartR!

Your procedure worked perfectly and I am not now back online with my Win 7 machine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you . . . .
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That was painless, thanks for letting us know
StuartR