Setup Linksys E4200v2 Wireless Router

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Setup Linksys E4200v2 Wireless Router

Post by hlewton »

Wasn't sure if I should start a new topic for this or not but decided to continue this one since it really is all connected. I know there are many things I will never understand about routers and getting connected but if I can explain this well enough I hope there is a logical answer to my question.

Between this thread and another one I started about "limited or no connectivity" while using Linksys wireless routers and in order to get connected I bought a Linksys AE3000, Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter to be able to get connected to the Internet using the Linksys E4200v2 wireless router that is the subject of this thread. I bought the Linksys AE3000, Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter because the network adapter in my computer was never reliable and often times would not connect giving me that "limited or no connectivity" message. With the Linksys router the Linksys AE3000, Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter did help but with the new Belkin wireless router I now have it did not get a strong signal and most of the time showed a "very low" connection strength and would occasionally drop the Internet connection. At the same time the adapter in my computer that would never reliably connect to the Linksys routers would always show either an "excellent" or "Very Good" Internet connection strength. So I have removed the Linksys AE3000, Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter from my computer and rely solely on the internal adapter that did not work very well or at all while using Linksys routers.

So my question is why would switching to a Belkin router make the internal adapter work and also cause the Linksys AE3000, Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter to not get a good signal? Not sure if it is important or not as far as answering this question but, as a reminder, I did change the default gateway of the Belkin to 192.168.1.1 that is the same as that of the Linksys.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You may be using different frequency bands with the two routers, other than that I can't guess.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:You may be using different frequency bands with the two routers, other than that I can't guess.
Thanks. By that do you mean the wireless channels that can be set within the router's software? Just curious because I tried every channel that Linksys has and this one's default is "Auto" and that is where it has been since it was put into my system? Anyway the main thing is it seems to be working fine so far.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It could be the channel, or one could be using 2.4GHz and the other 5GHz (both are supported on 802.11n)
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks. I am pretty sure that I am using only the 2.4 GHz because the 5 HGz has a slightly different SSID that I assigned to it and the network I use is the one named that uses the 2.4 GHz. OH well it works and that is the main thing.
Regards,
hlewton