WEP, WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
sobershea
2StarLounger

WEP, WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK

Post by sobershea »

I have a NetGear Dual Band Wireless-N Router + DSL modem. My VAIO laptop finds both the "G" and the "N", while hubby's HP laptop and the HP wireless printer only finds the G. By default the router set itself up as WPA2-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 with Pre-Shared Key). The verbiage on the web-based setup page says to be sure all the PCs and printer support WPA2 and I can't seem to find out if they do. Is it possible that the HP laptop and wireless printer don't support WPA2 and therefore only find the G network? I keep thinking I should try to get them to find the N network because N is supposed to be better - right?
:scratch:

Also, I tried changing the default encryption key to something I deemed more secure and then nobody found the network. Before WIN7 I was able to change the encryption key but I don't know if the router had defaulted to WPA2. Maybe it changed when I clean-installed WIN7.

My security choices are as mentioned in the subject and I am assuming the WPA2 is supposed to be more secure.

As you can probably tell, I know absolutely nothing about all this and I want to make sure that I am secured.

TIA
Sherry

StuartR
Administrator

Re: WEP, WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK

Post by StuartR »

Don't use WEP, it takes less than an hour to crack a WEP password using off the shelf tools and instructions that anyone can download.

WPA2 is better than WPA, but either is acceptable.

The easiest way to find out what is supported on each computer is to look in the wireless network configuration options for that computer. If WPA2 is supported then you will see it listed.

Windows 7 definitely supports WPA2, and some newer HP wireless printers do too. Make sure that you configure the same pre-shared-key on all computers, printers and the router.
StuartR

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

StuartR wrote: The easiest way to find out what is supported on each computer is to look in the wireless network configuration options for that computer. If WPA2 is supported then you will see it listed.

Windows 7 definitely supports WPA2, and some newer HP wireless printers do too. Make sure that you configure the same pre-shared-key on all computers, printers and the router.
Thanks Stuart, but where/how do I look in the wireless network configuration options?
Sherry

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

sobershea wrote:...Thanks Stuart, but where/how do I look in the wireless network configuration options?
This depends on the computer / device.

I don't have a Windows 7 computer with a wireless connection at the moment. On the Vista computer where I am typing this it is
Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks > Double click a network > Select the security tab, look in the drop down labelled "Security type:"
WirelessNetworkProperties.png
And on my XP laptop it is
Connect to > Show all connections > Double click wireless network connection > Change advanced settings > Wireless Networks > Double click a network >
XP.png
WPA2-Personal and WPA2-PSK are the same thing.

My HP printer would not let me configure the wireless network unless I unplug the Ethernet connector, so I just looked on the web for what protocols it supports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

I went to the HP site and found the product specifications for both the printer and the notebook and they both support 802.11g. So that totally answers my question as to why my VAIO finds the N but the HP printer and notebook only find the G. Thanks for showing me how to find the supported security on the PCs. Today hasn't been a total loss - I learned something new.

:thankyou:
Sherry

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Wouldn't it have been a good idea if identical terminology had been used for wireless security mechanisms by all router, wireless dongle/card, and laptop manufacturers? There always seems to be some subtle variation, and it can be the work of the devil understanding what has been set up and what will work by people who only have to suffer this ambiguity occasionally...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Amen!! :hairout:
Sherry