Visio org chart help?

dasadler
5StarLounger

Visio org chart help?

Post by dasadler »

I have created an organization chart for a small business that will be expanding soon. I would like to be able to project cost based on new hires. The org chart I have does not reflect the organization as it is today but what we anticipate having in the foreseeable future.

In other words, the org chart currently shows many more positions that the number of people we have.

I am trying to find a way to do ‘What If’ planning….

What I would like is to have several boxes or shapes under each position that are selectable and have labels such as ‘vacant’, ‘Exec VP’, ‘Senior Associate’, ‘Junior Associate’, and ‘Intern’. For each position only one box can be selected. Then assign a salary to each box. When I select a few boxes (one per position), there should be a window or text box that will display the total salaries of all the selected positions. Maybe a combo box would be the best way to do it. Anyway, the box labeled ‘Vacant’ would have a salary of $0.00

Does this make sense? It is clear in my head but not sure if it is explained correctly. Any ideas on how to do this?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: Visio org chart help?

Post by HansV »

I fear that we don't have many Visio experts on board. Perhaps you'll have more success in a dedicated Visio forum.
For example:

Microsoft Answers Visio Forum
Visio Guy Forums
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks Hans. We need an outreach program to recruit some Visio experts.

I use it a lot for floor plans, flow charting, and woodworking design and find it so useful I can hardly believe it is not widely used. This is my first use for org charting and I find it a little awkward though it could just be me.
Don

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Can you start a new thread as to how you use Visio for your " woodworking design "?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Dave,

Honestly, it probably sounded bigger and better than it actually is. I simply use it for mocking up pieces of lumber. See attached for an example of what I mean. IF you still think it would have any value, I will gladly start a thread. I might have been more accurate to say construction (shelves, etc) since woodworking implies something finer than I do.
Last edited by dasadler on 29 Apr 2012, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can attach *any* file in a zip file...
Best wishes,
Hans

VisioMVP
NewLounger

Post by VisioMVP »

What you are trying to do can be done by adding extra shape data to your diagram and adding a report shape.
The shape data would consist of two extra items. One would be a boolean to say that the individual was hired and the other would say the cost. Create a report that shows the cost based on the hired data. When a Report is created, it can be added asa shape to the page.

Google has a feature called alerts that wil send you an email when a key word you request is found on the web. I have one set up for the word Visio, which is how I found my way here.

John... Visio MVP

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for your reply, and welcome to Eileen's Lounge, John! Visio expertise is most welcome here.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thank you John and I join Hans in welcoming you to the lounge.

Do we add data to a shape using code or through the menus? I looked but do not recognize how/where it is done.

See attached Visio file which is a small portion of the Org Chart on which I am working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

DaveA wrote:Can you start a new thread as to how you use Visio for your " woodworking design "?
Dave, I started the thread and attached some files. Hopefully our Visio discussions will inspire more use and sharing.
Don

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

VisioMVP wrote:What you are trying to do can be done by adding extra shape data to your diagram and adding a report shape.
The shape data would consist of two extra items. One would be a boolean to say that the individual was hired and the other would say the cost. Create a report that shows the cost based on the hired data. When a Report is created, it can be added asa shape to the page.
Thanks John, I like the use of the boolean field however, if I understand correctly, that would mean an individual shape for each possibility... in other words if I wanted to have four options for 'Accounting Manager' (for example) then I would need a shape for 'Exec", another for "Sr.', then 'Jr' and 'Vacant' and each of these shapes would have a boolean field of 'HIRED' and a SALARY field with the appropriate salary.

I think this approach would have far too many shapes and make the Org Chart difficult to manage and use as I intend.

I notice that I can use a fixed list field with values Exec;Sr;Jr;Vacant - this would put all the experience levels within the same shape. Is there any way to have another field (SALARY) where the value of that field is dependent on the value of the fixed list field I just mentioned? So that when I choose 'Exec', 'Sr', 'Jr', or 'Vacant', the value of SALARY would change automatically?

I could not find any provision for entering a formula into a field but I could have missed it entirely.
Don

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Well, it seems there there is no one in any of the Visio forums that can help with field dependencies. So...

It looks like I will have to implement something similar to what John suggested.

I have a bunch of shapes (an org chart), each with two relevant fields. One is a boolean field (HIRED) and the other is a number field (SALARY).

I made a new text box and want it to display the total (sum) of all the SALARY fields for the shapes where HIRED=True.

If I understand correctly, this can be done using the data graphic but I just don't know how to structure the formula.
Don

dasadler
5StarLounger

We have a solution to the Visio problem!

Post by dasadler »

David J Parker, Microsoft MVP for Visio, based in the UK read my question on another forum and developed an elegant solution involving the creation of a custom template for the Organization Chart. The details of the solution are far too lengthy to post here so I refer you to David's blog.

I did invite him to join us in the Lounge so hopefully we will hear more from him.
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Don. I'm glad you got your problem solved. (The solution is well beyond my limited knowledge of Visio)
Best wishes,
Hans