Investigating Microsoft Sharepoint

BettyN
Lounger

Investigating Microsoft Sharepoint

Post by BettyN »

I am not very familiar with Sharepoint but I know it is included in Office 2007. What is the difference between the included software and the purchased software?

Thanks.
Betty

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Investigating Microsoft Sharepoint

Post by stuck »

I don't know anything about Sharepoint either but my understanding of Office is that while you can buy different bundles of the various applications (sold as Office Home, Office Professional etc) the applications within in each bundle are all the full application. They are not 'lite' versions, i.e. buying them as standalone apps won't give you any extra functionality, it will just rack up the cost at an alarming rate.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have a vague memory that one of the Office 2007 suites included something that it called SharePoint something-or-other, but that this wasn't SharePoint Server. A quick search of the Microsoft web site did not jog my memory though.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

SharePoint Designer is a free Office application used to modify SharePoint sites. SharePoint server 2007 is NOT free. There are two different SKUs - Standard & Enterprise. There is a free very basic Windows Server 2003 R2 version called Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. The Windows Server 2008 R2 version is called SharePoint Foundation.

Joe
Joe

BettyN
Lounger

Post by BettyN »

Thank you Ken, Stuart and Joe for your responses. I also just ran across this website that provides more detail.

http://sharepoint-blog.com/how-do-i-kno ... 10-i-need/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for sharing your find!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

JoeP wrote:SharePoint Designer is a free Office application