Create database diagram - Visio

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Create database diagram - Visio

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

I want to use Visio 2003 to create a relationship diagram/schema using the 'Entity Relationship (Metric)' tools, but just need a little guidance.

I know that an Entity is a table and a View is a saved query. But what is a 'Category'? What is a 'Dynamic connector'? Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: Create database diagram - Visio

Post by Wendell »

Here are a couple of resources you might want to look at -Connectors and Glue and Define categories in a Database Model diagram. And if you want to model an existing database, the quickest way is to create the E/R constraints in your Access or SQL Server database. Then you can import those into visio and it does most of the work for you.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi. I understand that a category is a simple lookup table. A dynamic connector could represent a simple join?

How can I import my relationships diagram from my Access database to Visio? Andy. (Forget this - just found it under Reverse Engineer..)
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

agibsonsw,

So where is Reverse Engineer? I was eagerly looking forward to the answer to your question.
Don

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I you begin a blank database model diagram in Visio 2003, a new menu option of Database appears, with Reverse Engineer as the first option.
Clever stuff! Andy.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Okay, thanks.
Don

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

agibsonsw wrote:Hello.
I you begin a blank database model diagram in Visio 2003, a new menu option of Database appears, with Reverse Engineer as the first option.
Clever stuff! Andy.
What edition was that, Andy? I had Visio 2003 Professional edition and it lacked that feature.
Charlotte

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans