OneNote anew

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

OneNote anew

Post by Nick Vittum »

I used to use OneNote a lot when I was in Office 2007, and liked it a lot (once I got used to its quirks and limitations). I found it to be an excellent tool for storing and organizing (imagine this:) notes. Then when I moved to 2010, something had changed the turned me off a lot (I don't even remember what, now). So now I'm in 365, and I have a lot of diverse information I need to keep track of, and decided to give OneNote a try again.

I'd be happy to hear from other OneNote users regarding their experiences; in particular any ways they find it particularly useful, and especially, available add-ins that are useful.

Two questions in particular:
  • Is VBA customization possible (or any other sort of customization)? There's no developer tab,
    but I don't know that that's proof of anything.
    Is anyone familiar with the packaged Macros here? Is this stuff safe, and is it quality or just fluff?
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: OneNote anew

Post by JoeP »

Have used Onetastic at work. It is pretty popular there. I don't use it anymore since I retired. I do use OneNote for simple organizing and saving related information.
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I use Onenote in doing my genealogy research.
I have a "Notebook" for each tree and a page for each person that I want to save some information on.
The name of the notebook is the same as my tree name and I name each page "SurnameFirstnameMiddlename-bdate-ddate".
This allows me to have and find the different John Smith's when needed.

I also use Onenote to compile my feed back of my Family Tree Maker Special Interest Group meetings. This allows one to also save a PDF and attach that to a email to send to all members.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

I actually started some genealogy work some years ago, and was using OneNote. It's a perfect example of how it can be useful. But anything where organizing a lot of diverse data is required. The reason I just picked it up again was because of my efforts to learn code. Too much information; I was rapidly losing track of all the bits and pieces I was saving. I love how easily you can add a link to another page, or another place on the same page. And information copied from the Internet is automatically linked, so you can put a key section in your notes, and quickly jump to the source if you find you need more.
—Nick

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

YES, I like the built in linking, so I know where it came from!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Much more mundanely, I use OneNote for my recipe collection. I organize them by type of food prepared (beef, pork, fish, poultry, salads, desserts, etc.). I use tables to contain ingredients and amounts then use numbering for the steps for preparing.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

BobH wrote:Much more mundanely, I use OneNote for my recipe collection. I organize them by type of food prepared (beef, pork, fish, poultry, salads, desserts, etc.). I use tables to contain ingredients and amounts then use numbering for the steps for preparing.
No, not mundane; its a perfect example of the way it can be useful. It can be like having a small database without having to haul out the firepower (and weight) of Access.
—Nick