Photo Geotagging on Smartphones

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Photo Geotagging on Smartphones

Post by PJ_in_FL »

We were just made aware of this very real security hazard for anyone who posts pictures online from any GPS-enhanced device like a smartphone. Phones like iPhone, Blackberry. Palm Pre, and Android devices all fall in this category.

Please check out this website that discusses the issue. It also shows ways to keep you, your family and friends safer in this all too connected world!

http://icanstalku.com/

A family member forwarded this Youtube clip from a US newscast on the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vARzvWxwY

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

---------------------------------------------------------
(edited under protest on 9-19-2011 due to being cited as being alarmist)
Last edited by PJ_in_FL on 19 Sep 2011, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Photo Geotagging - Please read this and forward!

Post by StuartR »

Geo-tagging of photos is nothing new. This has been an issue for quite a long time now, but I don't think it warrants the kind of hysteria evident in that American news bulletin.

If you have a SmartPhone with GPS then it isn't only geo-tagging of photos you need to worry about, any app that you download could use your location information in combination with any other data on the phone and an internet connection to do things you really wouldn't like. It is strange how trusting people are of apps on their phones, compared with the care we take not to let our PCs get infected with malware.

Most SmartPhones allow you to control which applications have access to location data, and it is a good idea to restrict this to apps that really need to know, such as your SatNav app.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

For me, I've turned OFF the GPS totally ever since I've had the first smartphone that included it. I did it to conserve battery AND because I don't do any traveling so I know my way around town pretty well.
:laugh:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I have geotagging options turned on for some apps - like GPS - and off for others. I don't use it for photos for the obvious reasons cited in the clip. Plus, I'm one who believes that personal privacy should have been one of the rights protected more vigorously by the US Constitution.

So, I know how to control the use of geotagging; but how do I know which apps use it? Is it self-evident or can use of the GPS feature by an app be hidden?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

BobH wrote:I have geotagging options turned on for some apps - like GPS - and off for others. I don't use it for photos for the obvious reasons cited in the clip. Plus, I'm one who believes that personal privacy should have been one of the rights protected more vigorously by the US Constitution.

So, I know how to control the use of geotagging; but how do I know which apps use it? Is it self-evident or can use of the GPS feature by an app be hidden?
Well, if you've got an iPhone - they show you on the clip how to activate/deactivate settings app by app. Can the app soof this? Probably - but why would they want to?

If you feel that your constitution needs improving - that should be fairly simple! Just get 2/3rds of both the house and the senate to agree, the president to approve, the supreme court to not object and the majority of the states (representatives, senators and governors) to ratify. Shouldn't take too long. But in the meantime; caveat emptor ...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Bowlie wrote:
BobH wrote:If you feel that your constitution needs improving - that should be fairly simple! Just get 2/3rds of both the house and the senate to agree, the president to approve, the supreme court to not object and the majority of the states (representatives, senators and governors) to ratify. Shouldn't take too long. But in the meantime; caveat emptor ...
:rofl:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Just to be clear in my question . . .

I know how to turn location services on and off both globally and by application. As I said, I use geotagging for some apps like GPS and astronomical charts. I have location services turned on for those apps. Photos and other apps that indicate that they use geotagging I have turned off.

My question is whether or not it is possible for an app to use geotagging without self-identifying in the location services settings.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:...
My question is whether or not it is possible for an app to use geotagging without self-identifying in the location services settings.
I guess this depends on the phone operating system. My Palm Pre has a system menu option to control access to location information and I have it set to "Always ask", so even my mapping application has to ask each time I start it up.
StuartR

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Re: Photo Geotagging on Smartphones

Post by stuckling1 »

On the android market, when you download an app, you have to expressly grant permission to apps before they are installed for anything they require- eg use of gps, internet, phone content access. If you don't grant permission, It's not installed. Simple. As discussed above you can turn gps on and off per app or globally, so provided you're sensible with what you grant permission to the privacy hazard is more manageble.

As also noted above, I keep my gps antenna turned off when I'm not actually using it, same with the web connection. Keeps the battery longer aswell

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuckling1!

The Android certainly gives the human more control, eh? (Wonder when that will change . . . )

The iPhone os doesn't offer the same degree of control - at least not to my knowledge. It offers the aforementioned Location Services which can be globally on or off but must be on to enable the functionality in an app that uses GPS. After enabling the global switch, the user then sees apps which can be individually turned on or off. I still don't know if there is any way to determine if an app might secretly be using the GPS features of the hardware and os without being displayed in the Location Services options when the capabilities are globally enabled. Perhaps I shall turn to Apple to discover the answer - assuming they would disclose anything hidden.

Your advice about disabling GPS when not actively been used by an app is spot on! I found that Bluetooth also consumes resources and drains the battery faster. Thanks for the reminder.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

BobH wrote:I found that Bluetooth also consumes resources and drains the battery faster. Thanks for the reminder.
Also wifi. Generally not as bad a culprit as 3G data conection as it operates at a lower wattage, but still if it can be turned off, I'd be thinking of turning it off. My HTC Sensation also allows you to adjust the screen brightness - since a huge AMOLED screen like this one is the single biggest drainer (just keeping it lit is about 50% of my battery consumption) I've sensibly set this to the minimum.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Airplane mode will shut off GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi and 3G (cell phone) with two clicks (or taps). In respect of Bob's question I believe that it would not be very easy for any App writer to bypass Apples build in tools. (If the App needs GPS he would need to incorporate Apple's sub-routines that include the location settings). Perhaps a very skilled hacker could get past those built-in safeguards - but it would still need to get through Apples approval processes AND could be easily detected. Unless its a very obscure App Bob, I dont think you have got that much to worry about.

The Android App market is more of the wild West - with no Approval process!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bowlie!

:RANTON:
I just spent the better part of an hour trying to contact Apple to ask the question. I never got through their immensely difficult to use contact mechanisms.

First, I tried to use their standard support web page only to discover that they have made NO PROVISION for contact by email.
STRIKE 1 !

They require you to leave your phone number for a call back. I don't leave my cell phone number where it can stored in a database whose security I cannot control.
STRIKE 2 !

Finally, upon discovering a telephone number, I called it only to get a VRU that I could not get past. I answered the interminable list of questions they ask - some I found intrusive - and provided my device serial number only to find that I was lost in VRU Hell!
STRIKE 3 !

Anyone who tells you that Apple has good customer service is not telling the truth. Their customer service is LOUSY ! ! !

Their account login processes are execrably difficult. They don't allow pasted passwords. I use a password generator to make very secure pw's which are too long to expect anyone to type correctly twice in a row. I use an encrypted database on my computer to store them, copy pw's in the clear and paste them into required panels. If pasting can be done on the apple pages, I couldn't discover how. Their practice defeats the very purpose of using random, very secure pw's. That, IMO, is a horrible practice for a computer company.

:RANTOFF:

You may now resume your regular programming . . .
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

BobH wrote:Anyone who tells you that Apple has good customer service is not telling the truth. Their customer service is LOUSY ! ! !
Wow Bob, I'm really surprised to hear that. There's been a couple things in the media recently about how Apple outshines the others; i.e. http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option ... mid=287%0A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apple’s record of customer satisfaction preeminence in the personal computer industry continues unabated in 2011, as the company adds another point to its already exceptional score. At 87 (+1%), Apple outdistances its nearest competitor by 9 points.

Well I suppose 87% is not a perfect score ...

Having said that I tend to use Apple's discussion forums. Although hosted on Apple's servers it is not managed by them (too much). Most replies are by us normal people, sorta like the lounge. (but they don't have a Hans! :bwaah: ) Why don't you try asking your question there?

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Good for you, Bob. Nice to see that you haven't been caught up in the Apple reality distortion field.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

PaulB wrote:Good for you, Bob. Nice to see that you haven't been caught up in the Apple reality distortion field.
Paul, I'm disappointed by your comment. I've used Apple products since my first Apple ][c over 25 years ago, and I have been generally very happy with the quality (and ingenuity). I dont have a strong view about their customer service, mainly because I've had little need to actually use it. But in the couple of cases when I did need it I found they reacted quickly and to my satisfaction.

I'm sorry that Bob didn't come to the same conclusion as I, but that is what life is all about.

I don't consider myself as an Apple fanboy, it is only a computer (or a phone, iPod or iPad)! No reality distortion in my case. I like their products, and I am content with their level of customer service

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I read an interesting article on New Scientist today, this was from the issue published on 20th August this year. It described an experiment carried out at a University in the USA. They got students to stand in front of a webcam for 3 seconds, and used off-the-shelf facial recognition software to compare their faces with pictures on Facebook. They correctly identified the Facebook sites for 31% of the students.

A lot of people think that if they don't put their real name on their Facebook page they can be anonymous, but not any more! When you go for that job interview they can find your online traces.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi Bowlie!

I think that Apple make good products. We have 4 of them between the 2 of us. My complaint is that they make contact for customer service entirely too difficult and/or too intrusive. I've designed, built and installed VRU systems. Theirs is VRU HELL. After about 3 or 4 levels of frustration in not getting to your subject matter, good VRU design says that you should give option of speaking with a human (even 4 is stretching you customer's patience beyond normal limits).

The number of authentications and the amount of data they want you to provide is compounded by their inane blocking of pasting in their password fields. If I wanted passwords simple and short enough to type twice I'd probably just use my name!

My criticism of Apple is not of their products - though I think they short-changed the iPad features for the price asked (no USB port, no file exchange . . . I could go on but won't waste time for others). My criticism is of access to customer service at Apple. For the premium price paid for their products, access should be easier and more immediate - not frustrating and invasive. I'm a pretty persistent guy and used to be an IT expert. I've set up and run internal and external customer support desks and run them successfully. I've never experienced anything so frustrating from a technology company that is so damned good at marketing.

If you want easy access to customer service (I can't speak to the quality of their service because I never got any), DON"T BUY APPLE! If you're willing to accept the features and functions in the product as they deliver it, OK.

My caution to the community is about access to their customer service. Perhaps if you don't mind having your cell phone number placed in their database for whatever use they choose, access to the service might be better - but I suspect you will still be held hostage to the automated and highly convoluted VUR decision trees they make you swing through. I choose not to be their trained chimpanzee and choose instead to complain about it.

One might surmise that 87% of Apple's overall customer satisfaction derives from the physical product and 13% derives from effective customer service support after the sale. Service before the sale is not service but marketing. It is support after a sale that defines service.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

I would add my :2cents: regarding Apple service. I've used it a few times and was happy with the service that I received. Granted, I had a warranty contract so maybe that made the difference? And as Bowlie mentioned, they have an online discussion forum that I've also used with good results. :yep:
I've maintained both PCs and Apple products while working in our school district and have enjoyed taking care of both systems.
There are lots of advantages to each but my choice for now is my trusty iMac (2005), MacBook (2007), first generation iPad(2010) and an iPhone (2010). :laugh: It all started when the grandkids started! Pictures and movies are great on this platform! End of my :2cents: :smile:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.