Facebook Issues

BobH
UraniumLounger

Facebook Issues

Post by BobH »

Some months back I set up a fb account for myself but soon tired of it and became paranoid about the uses to which the post data can and have been subjected. I quit using it but I don't know how to remove my account - or even if it is possible to do so.

My daughter, OTOH, uses it extensively and without my paranoia - despite my warnings. She fb up on my wife's iPhone and iPad. The wife reads fb posts from an extended group of friends and relatives but rarely posts anything herself. Recently, she complains of not being able to see the same posts on her iPhone and her iPad. The iPad seems always to be well behind in showing them. This puzzles me.

The only difference is that the AT&T wireless network is her default for the iPhone. Her iPad default is wifi from our home router with signal emanating from Time Warner Cable. I would have thought that the nature of networking might cause some propagation delay but that it would be minimal, usually never noticed. With her fb reading, however, the lag is often measured in days.

Can someone please explain what might be at work here? The apps on both her devices are up to date.

Please. My reputation as a nerd is at stake!! :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Facebook Issues

Post by viking33 »

Also being in the Non-Users of FB club, I can't entirely vouch for these steps BUT this is from FB itself, so hopefully, it works.

http://www.facebook.com/help/search/?q= ... my+account" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I seems the real key is to NOT TRY to access your old account for two weeks after requesting the removal of your account. ( so they say ) Doing so before the time is up will put your account back in the active folder.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bob!

It has been so long since I was on fb that I have no recollection of what email address I used. I tried to log in with several likely ones and request a password reset, but fb could not find those addys in their database.

Maybe I have been successfully deleted.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:It has been so long since I was on fb that I have no recollection of what email address I used. I tried to log in with several likely ones and request a password reset, but fb could not find those addys in their database.

Maybe I have been successfully deleted.
I've used Facebook every day for the past two years and, like any OTHER internet adventure, one has to be careful of one's "privacy settings" but other than that, I don't find it any more prone to hacking or compromise than any place else on the web.

There are two things that you can do with a FB account: deactivate or completely remove (which is irreversible). It looks like you've been successful in deleting your account.

As for the phone, ipad or other mobile devices when accessing FB, I don't do so, so I can't comment on the delays your wife may be experiencing. The thing I CAN and frequently DO comment on is the wily-nily way Zuckerschmuck's geeks "play with" reprogramming the features of the system. They quite often make a mess of things. For example, a friend of mine has had trouble for two days accessing his "News Feed" whereas I and many others have not. The FB staff don't seem to have a "test bed" for trying new features and FREQUENTLY cause disruptions in service.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BigAl!

I think maybe they deleted the account. Several people who are still there say they no longer see me in their friends list.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)