Cash as a wedding gift

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Cash as a wedding gift

Post by VegasNath »

I've had some laughs whilst googling this subject.... :grin: I'm still in a dilemma though..... Any thoughts on how much is appropriate?
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cash as a wedding gift

Post by HansV »

Wouldn't that be dependent on where you live? I imagine that even within the UK, there could be considerable regional differences. So I think it's difficult for an international community such as Eileen's Lounge to come up with a recommendation.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

VegasNath wrote:I've had some laughs whilst googling this subject.... :grin: I'm still in a dilemma though..... Any thoughts on how much is appropriate?
I think $0.
I detest the concept as cash-as-a-wedding-gift.

[old fart alert]
My idea is that if I don't know them well enough to know what they'd appreciate as a gift, I didn't ought to be accepting an invitation to the wedding [/old fart alert]

That said, my first marriage (so you see, I'm a bit of an expert ...) was to a young lady of another faith, and neither my community nor hers (200 miles away) knew the other, so we started married life with two coffee percolators, two sets of cutlery, two sets of dishes, two electric toasters,....
He who plants a seed, plants life.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:...we started married life with two coffee percolators, two sets of cutlery, two sets of dishes, two electric toasters,....
What's the problem? His and Hers...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

VegasNath wrote:I've had some laughs whilst googling this subject.... :grin: I'm still in a dilemma though..... Any thoughts on how much is appropriate?
Hi Nathan

A thorny issue but I agree with Chris.

Mrs. H and I got married last month and specifically said on our invite that we did not expect gifts but should anybody feel inclined we would appreciate a donation to "Help for Heroes". That said our Children, Grandchildren and my Mother clubbed together and bought us an original water colour from West Wittering where we spend every Friday afternoon to Monday morning before having to come back to the rat race here (and then look at our painting all week yearning for Friday :grin: )
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:What's the problem? His and Hers...
Turned out that way ... :yep: :sad:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

steveh wrote:... West Wittering[/url] where we spend every Friday afternoon to Monday morning ...
Belated congratulations to both of you.
Too scared to post the announcement in Scuttlebut, eh? Heh heh!

People who know you (both) know what will please you (both).
Same deal.
Last Christmas I got for my canoeing buddy the 6 Best Photos of our year's trips, had a colleague blow them up, bought 6 nice frames.
Made him stare at them all winter long ...

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

My son and his intended have a John Lewis list, which includes things that range from a salt-and-pepper set to a Sony digital SLR(!). In the end, we're paying for the band.

Suddenly realised that didn't help. Traditional gifts in Scotland include: Towels (tea towels if you don't know/like the couple), tea sets (and plates etc in general) for closer, but not that close and a (hefty) contribution towards honeymoon/wedding reception for sprogs. (or the monetary equivalent thereof)...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

bkessinger
StarLounger

Post by bkessinger »

Typically in the US, at least in Ohio, the couple to be married register at various stores in the area. All the invitees have to do is get online, bring up the registry and select a gift. Can be done online or in the store. Sure makes decision-making easier.

Bill K.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

I'd give cash in the amount you care to wager on the success or failure of the union. :evilgrin:

Only what you can afford to lose, of course. :innocent:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Or... if you think the marriage will succeed, you give one electric toaster; if you strongly suspect it's going to fail, you give two... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Some might consider it inappropriate but I like to give cash so the couple doesn't have to spend time taking a gift back to the store to return or exchange it. The couple can use the cash to help pay off the credit card bill that they probably have already accumulated while getting ready for the "big event". My :2cents:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Then in yesterday's Toronto Star:

Money Manners: Can I ask for a cash wedding gift? ... (snip!)

Dear Bob: In a word, no. ... (snip!)

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Some years ago we went to a wedding in Italy. At the reception the best man 'stole' the grooms tie and went around the room 'selling' little snips of his tie. We donated thousands (lira that is). The intent was that the 'small money' would help pay for some of the honeymoon expenses.

I had never seen that before, but thought it was a very good idea.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:... around the room 'selling' little snips of his tie.
That's work for me if all the guests were allowed to snip the bills in half, leaving the bride and groom with a pleasant little puzzle to solve on their wedding-night.
Aussie readers will immediately think of taping the snippets together with Durex.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Bowlie wrote:Some years ago we went to a wedding in Italy. At the reception the best man 'stole' the grooms tie and went around the room 'selling' little snips of his tie. We donated thousands (lira that is). The intent was that the 'small money' would help pay for some of the honeymoon expenses.

I had never seen that before, but thought it was a very good idea.
We also have a tradition for a fun way to gather additional funds for the bride and groom. We call it a Dollar Dance. For one dance, if someone wants to waltz the bride or groom around the dance floor, s/he will give a dollar to the person s/he wants to have the dance with and the way they will go. People are allowed to cut in, pay the required amount, and continue until someone else cuts in..... :grin:
I suppose some would consider this a bit crass but in our little town, it is considered lots of fun! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Aussie readers will immediately think of taping the snippets together with Durex.
I don't think you'd want to use Durex in the UK (I'll let you do your own research...) :innocent:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube