Toolbars ... Gggrrr...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Toolbars ... Gggrrr...

Post by Bigaldoc »

Since this is a rant I'll put it here. It has to do with IE8 but not because of IE.

Yesterday I downloaded two shareware programs from Blumentals Software and evidently one of them snuck the ASK TOOLBAR in without me knowing about it. I'm 99% sure I watch every screen in an installation and it's possible this one snuck by me. Of course it's also possible that the toolbar got here by some other means, I may never know.

Revo shows the two installs AND the toolbar on yesterday, so it's a pretty big coincidence. I probably wouldn't have noticed except that I fired up IE this morning to do something and there was ASK staring at me. I've of course disabled it in IE and removed it with Revo, but I'm not happy about it.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Toolbars ... Gggrrr...

Post by HansV »

These sneaky extras are very annoying; it's ridiculous that we have to be alert each time we install freeware!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This is one of the reasons why I try really hard not to install any free software unless my need is very high.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Surprisingly, these weren't freeware. I paid $50 bucks for the two. I've emailed them and asked outright if the Ask toolbar is included in their software. I don't suppose I'll get an answer...

Screensaver Wonder

Easy GIF Animator

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I control / kill such annoyances with Winpatrol Plus and carry the portable version with me wherever I go. Mind you, not much use when you're in the middle of the desert as I was a few weeks back :laugh:
Cheers, Claude.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I just uninstall any that might sneak through with Revo as you did. It is disappointing that a paid S/W would tag the Ask Toolbar with it. I see this toolbar a lot with freeware (Adobe, etc) but have never noticed it with paid ware.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:... snuck the ASK TOOLBAR in without me knowing about it. I'm 99% sure I watch every screen in an installation

Thanks!
Please see also SKYPE toolbar (I know you already have seen t ...)

(Much later) Please see also: Grisoft AVG 2012
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 01 Sep 2011, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Surprisingly quick but useless reply! I emailed Blumenthals yesterday with a simple question:

• I have recently purchased TWO of your software products and it looks like the purchases went through two different vendor channels. I suddenly find the ASK TOOLBAR resident on my system as of yesterday and I did NOT knowingly install it. Does it come as a ride-along with either of the above software products?

I received the following email this morning:

• Dear Albert,

Thank you for your message. The image search returns images from the web image search (it works like http://images.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://images.yahoo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so technically it is impossible to track which images are available at what license (there is no technology for determining that), so as google says \"images may be scaled down and subject to copyright\".

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,
      Gatis Avots

So much for support from Blumenthals!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:Surprisingly quick but useless reply!
It can't be as bad as Virgin Mobile.
When you complain they ask for your PIN.
After you've sent the PIN they send canned responses:
Nice to hear from you again!
We would love to look into this for you, but first we need you to verify your account as per Canadian Privacy laws.
To Verify an account we need to be provided with the 10 digit phone number, 4 digit security pin and the first & last name.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

They forgot to ask you to provide your bank account number and the accompanying security code... :crazy:
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

ChrisGreaves wrote:It can't be as bad as Virgin Mobile....
Sometimes those "verification" kinds of things can be "good work." I'm required by IBM to do prescription drug business with mail order Medco. Been doing so for 10 years now and they're a great place to do business.

Several days ago, at my request (on the web) they fax'd my doctor for a new prescription on one that has run its one year course. No sweat, they do it all the time and it works (usually) like a charm.

Yesterday I got a "computer" phone call from Medco saying that they needed to verify my identity and address. I thought this is strange, but it was a computer, so I couldn't ask. I had to provide several things, the only one of which that could be considered borderline was the last four digits of my Social Security number. Otherwise, it was date of birth, address, and phone number. The call lasted only a few minutes.

Later in the day I learned why! I received an explanatory email from Medco saying that evidently my doctor's staff had made a type on my address, so Medco's computer called to make sure I AM who I AM... PS: I did followup with a call to my doc to make sure my address is still correct in their computer system.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:They forgot to ask you to provide your bank account number and the accompanying security code... :crazy:
yeah, well, you can't expect a Communications Company to think of everything.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:Sometimes those "verification" kinds of things can be "good work."
On every email over a period of two or three days?

"If you can't trust my email address after I've sent you the PIN, why are you continuing to communicating with me?"

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Bigaldoc wrote:Surprisingly quick but useless reply! I emailed Blumenthals yesterday with a simple question:

• I have recently purchased TWO of your software products and it looks like the purchases went through two different vendor channels. I suddenly find the ASK TOOLBAR resident on my system as of yesterday and I did NOT knowingly install it. Does it come as a ride-along with either of the above software products?

I received the following email this morning:

• Dear Albert,

Thank you for your message. The image search returns images from the web image search (it works like http://images.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://images.yahoo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so technically it is impossible to track which images are available at what license (there is no technology for determining that), so as google says \"images may be scaled down and subject to copyright\".

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,
      Gatis Avots

So much for support from Blumenthals!
Try their support forum Al. You're more likely to get an on point answer from someone without a vested interest.

Gatis Avots
Gatis is responsible both for customer support and for various software development tasks. He holds an MSc degree in Computer Science from the University of Latvia and he has an extensive experience in the areas of software testing and maintenance. Gatis is a very diligent and highly motivated person with careful attention to every detail of his work. When not at the keyboard, Gatis enjoys cycling, running and various other sports activities, he also likes traveling very much.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks, Doc. I'll go over there and register later today. I did a search on their forum and didn't find anything but I need to register so I can ask a question.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Is this coincedence? This morning I fired up an old XP PC and did windows updates/ AV updates....lurking in the task bar was the java update...which I clicked through and installed without taking much notice as I usually do. "The latest version of Java was installed succesfully" (or words to that effect) "with the ASK toolbar!!"
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's a new one! I've seen Java updates offer OpenOffice.org and the Google toolbar, but not the Ask toolbar...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jaystarter wrote:Is this coincidence?
Well, by definition. "YES".
It is an incident that occurred near in time to another incident.

But you didn't want to hear that.
I think that software manufacturers are going to new lengths - in the vertically downwards sense.

But see also "How to get people to d/l your free trial" http://www.thewindowsclub.com/bitdefender-internet-security-2012-free
Giveaway: Get Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 FREE
To win a license of this fine internet security suite, you have to do two things:
1. Download its trial version from here and let us know which one new feature you like the best. The more original your answer, the more your chances
2. Share the following on any social site like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc and post its status URL here.

I'm a little hazy on the "... the more your chances" bit, but I've got the rest of the afternoon to nut it out ...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You've gotta go thru the mo' chance, man!
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

HansV wrote:That's a new one! I've seen Java updates offer OpenOffice.org and the Google toolbar, but not the Ask toolbar...
well, I wasn't sure so this morning did a system restore to before the Java update that I admit I didn't take much notice of...then when restarted and offered the Java update took a good look at what was being offered and there it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff