USA Independence Day

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

USA Independence Day

Post by Bigaldoc »

I know, I'm a day early...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: USA Independence Day

Post by StuartR »

Al (and all of our other US members), have a great independence day celebration.

What is the significance of the number 235 in relation to US independence?
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

2011 - 1776 = 235

Al(l) in the USA, have a great day!

(I thought the major fault line in the US was along the west coast instead of from Minnesota to Alabama... :evilgrin:)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:2011 - 1776 = 235

Al(l) in the USA, have a great day!

(I thought the major fault line in the US was along the west coast instead of from Minnesota to Alabama... :evilgrin:)

Google "New Madrid Earthquake" or "New Madrid Fault". It occurred where the line that separates Kentucky and Tennessee intersects Missouri. The biggest earthquake in US history occurred right there in the middle of the country, but it was before that area was well populated (1812). Story is that the Mississippi River ran backwards for a spell. Buildings in Charleston, SC, were damaged.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

As an ol' soldier, it's also interesting to me that our (USA) initial military foundings (Army, Navy, Marine Corps) were in 1775, before the Declaration of Independence, so this year is 236 for them.

I treasure my freedom, as do ALL you citizens of the "free world," so I celebrate with our flag, a burger and a few cold brews!

July is also a special month for me as I celebrate the marriage "union" of my mother and daddy on July 5, 1936 resulting in my birth in May 1937. Whooee...

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

er ... Al, aren't you missing a couple of bits? You know one bit where 'she' is from, and the other bit where 'he' was born. :innocent:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Interesting that you throw that in, Bowlie. The past year has been one of discovery for me about my parents, thanks to the digging done by my younger sister. She acquired a few immigrant records on our father that show that he came from Germany in 1923, not as I have always thought 1932. A couple of the listings are too large to show here but the attached is a passenger record.

Me Mum of course was born in Brooklyn, NY of Irish immigrant parents (Maloney). My sis also uncovered some "naming" conflict about what her official middle name was, but I'll not go into that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

:blush: Hi Al,
I was actually preferring to the two missing states. Homes of two politicians from the two political parties - and worlds apart.

:Cheers: and happy 4th

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:(I thought the major fault line in the US was along the west coast instead of from Minnesota to Alabama... :evilgrin:)
texas-whatever-men-t-shirt.jpg

FWIW Texas is the only state that was a nation before it gained (?!!) statehood.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Bigaldoc wrote:I know, I'm a day early...

From your proud neighbours in the Great White North... have a GREAT ONE !!!

Respectfully, 144 to 235...

P.S. there is a hidden message in the two word capped phrase :grin:
Regards,
Bob

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

You get no argument from ME about his status as the greatest...

Thanks...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
HansV wrote:(I thought the major fault line in the US was along the west coast instead of from Minnesota to Alabama... :evilgrin:)
texas-whatever-men-t-shirt.jpg

FWIW Texas is the only state that was a nation before it gained (?!!) statehood.

NOW you're talkin!

I think both California and Texas were republics when they entered the USA. Both Hawaii and Alaska were protectorates at the time of entry. Alaska might have been a territory. (I should remember because it happened after I was grown.) In flag protocol, that allows both the California Bear and the Texas Lone Star to be flown at the same height as the Stars and Stripes (but always to the left of the S&S). All other state standards must fly below the S&S.

It is true that Texas reserved the right to subdivide into 5 states at some future date after statehood with one retaining the name "Texas" and the other 4 to choose their names. That would give us 8 more senators, but the fight to see who gets to keep the name and the Lone Star would be mighty bloody.

ps: I noticed you questioned the verb. Some of us sometimes wonder whether it was a gain or a loss.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Geologically, the New Madrid and the faults on the left coast are the most significant.

Politically, the one that runs along the Potomac and circles around in an arc back to the East is the most dangerous and, potentially, the most pernicious! :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:I think both California and Texas were republics when they entered the USA.
Thanks!
I didn't know that about California.
I'd read Michener's "Texas" about 4 months ago, so that's where I picked up the Texas folklore ...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I've gotta get me one of those T-Shirts!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:I've gotta get me one of those T-Shirts!
Tell'em I sent you.
A good ole Western Boy from way back.
http://www.txmemories.com/6-men-t-shirts

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:... I think both California and Texas were republics when they entered the USA. Both Hawaii and Alaska were protectorates at the time of entry. Alaska might have been a territory.
However, Kentucky is the only member of the 50 that is still a Commonwealth. The difference between "commonwealth" and "state" is left as an exercise to the "student".
BobH wrote:...In flag protocol, that allows both the California Bear and the Texas Lone Star to be flown at the same height as the Stars and Stripes (but always to the left of the S&S). All other state standards must fly below the S&S.
Sorry to disagree, but according to Wikipedia
Urban legend: The Texas flag flying below the U.S. flag at the Texas State Capitol
It is a common urban legend that the Texas flag is the only state flag that is allowed to fly at the same height as the U.S. flag. Allegedly, Texas has this right inherently (as a former independent nation) or because it negotiated special provisions when it joined the Union (this version has been stated as fact on a PBS website). However, the legend is false. Neither the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States nor the Ordinance of Annexation contain any provisions regarding flags. According to the United States Flag Code, any state flag can be flown at the same height as the U.S. flag; the U.S. flag should be on its right (the viewer's left), however. Consistent with the U.S. Flag Code, the Texas Flag Code specifies that the state flag should either be flown below the U.S. flag if on the same pole or at the same height as the U.S. flag if on separate poles.
Just returned from our own 4th celebration - 4th eve (July 3rd) at Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World for a 360o fireworks show (don't go on the 4th unless you like wall-to-wall crowds) and the 4th celebrated at Hollywood Studios. Pleasant day with light crowds for a holiday (everyone was at MK or EPCOT), but we'll probably opt to go back to EPCOT for the 4th next year for their truly awesome fireworks show. I actually prefer EPCOT to MK, but the Better Half is Mickey-centric.

Hope everyone else had a wonderful and safe holiday!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

PJ_in_FL wrote:However, Kentucky is the only member of the 50 that is still a Commonwealth.
As far as I know, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia are still Commonwealths as well. But mebbe I'm just not in touch with the news.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:
PJ_in_FL wrote:However, Kentucky is the only member of the 50 that is still a Commonwealth.
As far as I know, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia are still Commonwealths as well. But mebbe I'm just not in touch with the news.
It's still the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, that's for sure and I think you are correct about PA. and VA. :clapping:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:It's still the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, that's for sure and I think you are correct about PA. and VA. :clapping:
So ... It's ma, pa and va again, eh?
Easy to remember ....