Taxonomic Codes

Jezza
5StarLounger

Taxonomic Codes

Post by Jezza »

Sorry, I know this is light relief but I cannot think of an area that this may go, please feel free to move it to a relevant area

As some of you may know I am responsible for a web-based Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system for my company which is used for ordering Service Requests, each of these service requests has a document "attached" to it which contains FAQs, Procedural Maps and information about the item. The trouble is that the agent can now be swamped with information that is both wordy. I was asked to design an application extension that allows the agent to be presented with a new screen where there will be a list containing a Process Document, a web link to a product description and a number of links that will be "associated" products.

I have built this app. extension to read an XML file and am thinking I can use a 6 digit code that simulates a taxonomic like so:

Department Code | Document Type | Doc Ref 1 | Doc Ref 2 | Doc Ref 3 | Doc Ref 4

Department Code: A,B,C,D,E
Document Type: Web(W), DMS(D),Procedure(P), Process(Q)
Doc Ref X: Numerical value

So if Department A had a web-based document ref 1234 the code would read AW1234

This will now allow me to search for all documents owned by Dept. A or all web based documents or are owned by a specific department

I have used a similar methodology in the past for a company structure chart but was wondering if there are other taxonomic coding ideas that I can use in a string value for storage in an XML file.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Taxonomic Codes

Post by StuartR »

Jerry,

Not an answer to your question, but a suggestion to help you search. When I was doing something quite similar a couple of years ago, I discovered that my colleagues in the USA used the term "ontology" to refer to what I would call a "taxonomy".
StuartR

Jezza
5StarLounger

Re: Taxonomic Codes

Post by Jezza »

Thanks Stuart, that is useful as I am working with an American based system so they may have a knowledge base
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it