Man who Can required.... :)

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Man who Can required.... :)

Post by VegasNath »

I'm worse than useless when it comes to repairs, big heavy hands and no patience... I have been searching google today with little success so I hope my friends here may be able to offer some general advice....

I have an electric built-in fan-assisted oven, Whirlpool (model) AKZ145/WH (Type) FCEM6. The door does not close properly. The door itself appears ok, not damaged, likewise the hinges, but it does not seal closed, leaving maybe a 1/4 or so inch air gap, where you can clearly hear and feel the heat release. I can press it closed which closes the gap but upon release, falls back. I'm not really sure, but it is like as if there is no suction coming from the seal. I can purchase a new door seal for approx £30, but want to be sure that this will solve the problem.

Do these door seals have a life expectancy? Is this normal wear? Any thoughts?

TIA.....
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Man who Can required.... :)

Post by Roderunner »

Hi VegasNath, their should be a 'pin'' on the main body that fits into an orifice on the door when its closed. The clips are spring loaded and may be stuck in open position, just oil them with WD40 or similar.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

It sound to me that the hinge spring that assist with keeping door closed firmly has been weakened to a point that it will not allow door to close firmly against seal. This can be caused by resting heavy items on door when in full open position and of course through wear and tear of usage. Most over door of this type have the hinge spring hidden between the inner and outer panel of door. Spring replacement may be needed. Be careful with the WD-40 it is flammable, use with caution.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Or you have been standing in the door and using it as a step to reach those items way above the stove. :flee: :grin: :hairout: and the hinge is sprung.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Thanks to a friendly neighbour (who has the same oven), I found out today that the door actually comes off..... well I never knew! I shall remove the door which will allow for a good deep clean and assessment of the hinges etc.... A job for another day, being as today is the first glorious day we have had in a while!

Thanks for the responses, I shall let you know how I get on.
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....