Need Help With Cable Set Top Box - Or Lessons in Hindi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Need Help With Cable Set Top Box - Or Lessons in Hindi

Post by BobH »

Writing the history of the problem I have been trying to solve with my TV and home theater system would be like writing the history of the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. Suffice it to say for now that the current problem is that I can't seem to make my Samsung HDTV work a replaced set top box.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve the problem when the TV displays "Not supported mode" after the STB is connected, booted up, and a channel selected? I tried changing out an STB that was working in order to isolate an audio problem with the Samsung HT system (don't ask). The replacement STB gave me this error so I went to the cable office today and swapped for another STB. I get the same error with the STB.

I spent an hour and a half on the phone with someone on the Asian sub-continent who is the tech support rep for the cable provider (Time Warner). Her final solution was that the problem was not one with the cable equipment but must be either a bad HDMI cable or a problem with the TV. Both the TV and the cable were in use and working fine before I tried the STP swap.

I'd as soon experience Chinese water torture as to have to call and speak with cable's tech support again; so I'm exhausting all other sources of information before doing so.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Need Help With Cable Set Top Box - Or Lessons in Hindi

Post by BobH »

Fixed the problem.

When the STB and the TV do a handshake to synchronize on a scan rate (video resolution), the handshake frequently fails (this per a knowledgeable cable tech support rep - another TEXAN!). To solve the problem, I connected an RCA cable from the STB to the video input on the TV - this in addition to the HDMI connection. The handshake difficulty is with HDMI cables.

After connecting the RCA cable between the 2 ports, I went into the STB settings and turned the 1080i setting on and turned the 480i setting off and everything is back to normal. Before changing the scan rate mode on the STB, I had a picture but no audio, so changing the STB settings was necessary.

Sorry for the bad form but maybe this will help someone else with a similar problem.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Need Help With Cable Set Top Box - Or Lessons in Hindi

Post by Claude »

Good to hear you managed to solved it yourself. And thanks for posting the solution.
Cheers, Claude.