Susquehanna River

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Susquehanna River

Post by ChrisGreaves »

So I've loved the Susquehanna River ever since I followed it through Binghampton NY one evening on my way to Hazlet NJ.
Next to the Allegheny (and the Susquehanna is right next to it!), it is my favorite river in the USA.
I've jumped across the Allegheny near Coudersport PA, and the West Branch of the Susquehanna River rises in the same spot.
There's a point on Rte 49 where if you spit three times, one lot drains into the Gulf of Mexico (New Orleans), one into the Atlantic (Chesapeake bay) and one via Lake Ontario & the St Lawrence river into the North Atlantic.

But I digress.

How to drive the Susquehanna River if you don't have a car?
Easy!
You let drop to a lady friend who does have a car that there are fashion outlet malls undreamed of, one of which, "King Of Prussia" ties in with my interest in the origins of the Third Balkan War.

But I digress.

In researching this summer's trip, of which she is blisfully unaware, I search the web and come up with this:

Geology
Geologically, the river is extremely ancient, often regarded as the oldest or second oldest major system in the world. It is far older than the mountain ridges through which it turns, most of which were formed in uplift events of the early Cenozoic era. Like the Hudson, Delaware and Potomac rivers, the basin was well-established in the flat plains that existed during the Mesozoic era. There is evidence that the flow of the ancient Susquehanna was established early enough that it predated the Appalachian orogeny over 300 million years ago, meaning that the river was in existence well before Pangea broke up and formed the Atlantic Ocean.

Who knew?
And how often do you get a chance to drive alongside a river that might be older than the Atlantic ocean?

P.S. If you have Google Earth loaded, check out how the Susquehanna has cut like a band saw through the mountain ridges between Sunbury and Harrisburg!
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

steveh
SilverLounger

Re: Susquehanna River

Post by steveh »

Hi Chris

Can't say I have ever heard of it, it looks pretty murky from your screenshots. We have not heard any exploits about your adventures with the new Christmas oar, will that be making it along with you to the river?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

steveh wrote:Can't say I have ever heard of it, it looks pretty murky from your screenshots. We have not heard any exploits about your adventures with the new Christmas oar, will that be making it along with you to the river?
Hi Steve. Murky is as murkey does, as my mother never used to say.
That's just Google Earth making the Susquehanna look awful to keep the tourists away, for which I am much grateful. I don't want to share MY scenic drive holiday with regular folks ...
Up close it will look lovely. The Allegheny as it flows along the border between NY and PA is just delightful.

The Christmas oar hangs still in my living room.
We did a paddle last month on the Beaver River Wetlands Conservation Area (Blackwater). The first couple of paddles each season tend to be on rivers rather than lakes, and shallow rocky-bed rivers are no place for a tender oar that is made out of something only slightly stronger than balsa wood.
(I just weighed myself with and without the paddle and it is slightly under 2lbs weight, that's lbs not Kg)

And no, the "Susquehanna" will be a driving trip, much like Wellsville, and if everything goes according to plan, I'll be the driver and navigator and Ms B will be relegated to swapping CDS so I can sing old pop songs at the top of my voice.
We'll drive Westport to Harrisburg, then from KOP come back up th Schuykill river ("Gosh Betty! Look! Here's another river ...!") via Elysburg and home through Sunbury.

Once I've finished this hypnosis course I'll be ready to swing into action ...

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

steveh wrote:....it looks pretty murky from your screenshots...
Murky? It looks like chocolate blancmange that's been left in the sun for a couple of weeks and someone has scraped the skin off in a few places.... :munch:
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:Murky? It looks like chocolate blancmange ...
Please move this thread to the cooking conference (grin!)

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

[quote= Sunbury. [/quote]

I hope Betty can put up wiith the singing for tha long, Sunbury is only 5 miles from me / Heathrow Airport, feel free to pop in for a cuppa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

steveh wrote:I hope Betty can put up with the singing for that long, ...
4,178 days and counting.
Earl Grey, milk, one sugar.
Ta!

P.S. that reservoir doesn't look to have enough water in it for my tea-drinking habits.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote: The Allegheny as it flows along the border between NY and PA is just delightful.

And no, the "Susquehanna" will be a driving trip, much like Wellsville,
We'll drive Westport to Harrisburg, then from KOP come back up th Schuykill river ("Gosh Betty! Look! Here's another river ...!") via Elysburg and home through Sunbury.
The Susquehanna and Schuykill are my old stomping grounds--err canoeing grounds :clapping: Seeing as my historical roots have their beginning in Sayre, PA (confluence of the Chemung and Susquehanna Rivers) I will admit that I have roamed, wandered, canoed all over that entire area. I envy you Chris. About 10 years ago we drove from Hagerstown, MD to Wellsboro PA to hike the Grand Canyon there. Upon arrival in the midst of a torrential downpour, we discovered all trails to the bottom of the canyon had been closed due to muddy rock slides.

My father grew up in Philly and we would make the annual treks to his Girard College reunions, as well as visits to King of Prussia mall at the Valley Forge exit of the PA Turnpike....ah those were the days indeed......The mall boasted (decades ago) waffles with neopolitan ice cream blocks between them. They sold for a mere 10 cents. Valley Forge, mostly famous for the Revolutionary War battles, is one of my favourite stomping grounds. Of course that would bring another river into play, the good ole Delaware. (What did Delaware boys, what did Delaware? She wore her New Jersey, that's what Delawore.) Are you familiar with that ole camping ditty? I digress. Many years of camping at Washington's Crossing, Bowman's Tower and roaming the area around where my grandmother lived, bring many pleasant memories.

I recall driving from just South of Harrisburg, (Chambersburg off US 30) and heading North to Williamsport, PA then on to Wellsboro (home of Grand Canyon of PA) and enjoying so much the scenic view. You mentioned Sunbury. I recall that as the "cutest" town along that river route. Upon entering the city limits, you were greeted by lollipops and candy canes lining both sides of the avenue. "Picturesque" hardly does it justice. You will have such a lovely drive. Don't forget Shamokin Dam either if you travel up US 11/15. Take a minor detour to Hershey and tour the chocolate factory. It's an entertaining ride around the museum even without going to the amusement park.

I just happened to view on our PBS tv station a documentary entitled, "Chesapeake Bay by Air" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBUY-rHPtpA which highlighted so many of the 175 rivers, creeks, waterways which flow to comprise the Chesapeake Bay. You would do yourself justice not to just go to the headwaters of the Chesapeake (Susquehanna) but to follow its course where it empties into the Chesapeake. At any rate, I envy your trip. Absorb all you can, for sometimes we never know when we "shall pass this way again."

Edited to correct "Revolutionary" :evilgrin:
Last edited by Hey Jude on 19 May 2011, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude,
Interesting tour guide of the area. I did a little bit of touring in that area and some business travel there too. Nice country.
Forgive me, not trying to be picky but a minor correction... Valley Forge is a Revolutionary War area where General Washington spent his winter encampment, etc. No Civil War battles around that area. :hmmn: :sorry: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote:Hey Jude,
Interesting tour guide of the area. I did a little bit of touring in that area and some business travel there too. Nice country.
Forgive me, not trying to be picky but a minor correction... Valley Forge is a Revolutionary War area where General Washington spent his winter encampment, etc. No Civil War battles around that area. :hmmn: :sorry: :grin:
You are so correct. I MEANT Revolutionary War, but have been reading about the Civil War sooo forgive.......I made the essential correction :flee:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:
viking33 wrote:Hey Jude,
You are so correct. I MEANT Revolutionary War, but have been reading about the Civil War sooo forgive.......I made the essential correction :flee:
I can appreciate that. If you ever need any research references, I think I have every book EVER printed, regarding the Civil War. ( or so it seems ) Really "got into it" for a while. Reading, battlefield tours and many hours in the National Archives in D.C.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:The ... Schuykill
How should I pronounce that please? (Rhymes with ...)
(confluence of the Chemung )
As in Chemung County, I think? Montour Falls & Chef's Diner?
Hagerstown, MD to Wellsboro PA
We'll be doing the reverse trip - W to H (see below)
waffles with neopolitan ice cream blocks between them. They sold for a mere 10 cents.
I already had two reasons for going there. Now three!
Are you familiar with that ole camping ditty?
Yep! From about 1958 on top-of-the-pops?
Upon entering the city limits, you were greeted by lollipops and candy canes lining both sides of the avenue.
Four reasons.
... minor detour to Hershey and tour the chocolate factory.
Five reasons ...

Route Planning
M9C 2A6 to Harrisburg via Olean, Wellsboro then #15 To Jersey Shore & Williamsport 630 Km.
Harrisburg to King Of Prussia via historic I-76 150 Km.
King Of Prussia to M9C 2A6 via Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, Scaranton, Binhampton, Southern Tier etc. 752 Km.
Or: King Of Prussia to M9C 2A6 via Reading, then #61 to cross I-81 (StClair/Frackville) & then NW to Williamsport etc. 720 Km

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:If you ever need any research references,
Goody.
Complete details of the part Chris Greaves's ancestors played in turning the tide of history, also diverting the OHIO from it's NW course to its newer southern course, and also his role in triggering continental drift of Pangaea.

Thanks Bob, there's a :chocciebar: in it for you ...

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

One warning Chris.... King of Prussia is a traffic NIGHTMARE these days. You are correct about the shopping opportunity there, but the outlet malls you are referencing are a bit further north, in Reading I believe. KoP is known for the size of and high end stores in the mall. But the traffic and insane road signs at what seems to be the confluence of every major highway in PA keep many locals, myself included, away from the area entirely.

The picture you posted of the Susquahanna does not do it justice.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Susqueha ... 95&bih=588
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc Watson wrote:One warning Chris.... King of Prussia is a traffic NIGHTMARE these days. You are correct about the shopping opportunity there, but the outlet malls you are referencing are a bit further north, in Reading I believe. KoP is known for the size of and high end stores in the mall. But the traffic and insane road signs at what seems to be the confluence of every major highway in PA keep many locals, myself included, away from the area entirely.
Thanks for the heads-up Doc.
We'll be passing through at least one red-brick town on our way, so by the time we arrive at KOP the back seat will be stacked with second-hand books on the origins of the Third Balkan war, so I can be quite happy sitting in the parked car or on a bench ... (grin)

The picture you posted of the Susquahanna does not do it justice.
I agree. I took a crude screenshot of Google Earth.
This and This are way better.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:The ... Schuykill
How should I pronounce that please? (Rhymes with ...) SCHOOKUL---not SHYELKILL-- emphasis on first syllable please.
(confluence of the Chemung )
As in Chemung County, I think? Montour Falls & Chef's Diner?
Sayre, Bradford County, PA. Not Montour Falls, that is NY.
Hagerstown, MD to Wellsboro PA
We'll be doing the reverse trip - W to H (see below)
COOL!~ In 1975 my husband and I did our missionary boot camp training up in the Allegheny Mountains of Lycoming County, PA. Our first son was born in Jersey Shore, and I ate my first black bear there along with venison, snake, and raccoon (which I choked down but.......since I had "Rascal" and "Bilbo" as childhood pets.... it was a requirement so we would know how to "fit into" a 3rd world culture w/o offending them (Guarani indigenous of Paraguay)
waffles with neopolitan ice cream blocks between them. They sold for a mere 10 cents.
I already had two reasons for going there. Now three!
Are you familiar with that ole camping ditty?
Yep! From about 1958 on top-of-the-pops? YEPP
Upon entering the city limits, you were greeted by lollipops and candy canes lining both sides of the avenue.
Four reasons.
Be sure to pack a picnic lunch for one of those scenic parks overlooking your beautiful Susquehanna
... minor detour to Hershey and tour the chocolate factory.
Five reasons ...
I am glad I don't have to give you JUST five reasons :clapping:

Route Planning
M9C 2A6 to Harrisburg via Olean, Wellsboro then #15 To Jersey Shore & Williamsport 630 Km.
Harrisburg to King Of Prussia via historic I-76 150 Km.
King Of Prussia to M9C 2A6 via Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, Scaranton, Binhampton, Southern Tier etc. 752 Km.
Or: King Of Prussia to M9C 2A6 via Reading, then #61 to cross I-81 (StClair/Frackville) & then NW to Williamsport etc. 720 Km

I am so envious~! Here I sit (I use that term loosely) with major back issues, and here you are going to retrace one of my umptynine trips back/forth that route. I never tired of the trip. Williamsport (home of Little League Baseball) is breathtakingly beautiful as you come down on the N side of the Allegheny Mountains. It is situated on the W branch of the Susquehanna. We went to a church in Montoursville, close to W. If you use a GPS you may wish to enter Scranton as opposed to Scaranton :evilgrin: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton are usually spoken as in Minneapolis/St. Paul depicting a specific area. As you pass the exit on the PA Turnpike for Route 100/Downingtown, honk/wave/beep as I have friends that live there. I went to my Jr High School down in Pottstown. I used to be able to drive those old roads in my sleep, but it's been about 12 years or so since going out on that end. When I think of anything else, I just might add laters

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Doc Watson wrote:The picture you posted of the Susquahanna does not do it justice.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Susqueha ... 95&bih=588
I was thinking the very same thing....great photographs Doc :grin: Makes me homesick...and I am home go figure~!

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Chris,

Confluence of the Chemung and Susquehanna--both are rivers....that is where Sayre PA is...just for clarification :cheers:

My granny is from the Ephrata/Lancaster area of PA which you will be traveling through. The Amish farmers' markets are a wonderful experience. I would gladly go back there to shop in lieu of the congestion of the Outlets and humongous malls.

If you look at your map of Harrisburg to KOP: look further down towards Emmitsburg and Thurmont off US 15 just South of Gettysburg (famous battlefield....could be another minor detour hehe). If you would stop in Thurmont (eat at Cozy Restaurant--all Presidents and their staff eat here while up at CD and the walls are filled with their memorabila--and take Rt 77 up the mountain (Foxville Road) about 6 miles or so, you'd find that Camp David, our Presidential Retreat, is located at the top of that mountain in the middle of Catoctin Mountain Park. Cunningham Falls State Park is on the left side and Catoctin is on the right going up the mountain. I lived in military housing there for my 4 yrs of HS. We swam, hiked, bowled, and used the field house for playing basketball with the Girenes. I tried on LBJ's size 14 bowling shoes as they were always ready for him to come bowl on that 2 lane alley. I saw Star Wars when it first came out up there at the theatre. Those were the days, and I couldn't help but notice how very CLOSE you will be--by comparison to how FAR AWAY you are now--so had to throw that in. Is your ultimate goal KOP??????

You could continue on down I-81 to I-70 E to Baltimore and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and see where your beautiful Suquehanna empties :clapping: Then you could continue on to KOP via that route lol....

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:SCHOOKUL---not SHYELKILL-- emphasis on first syllable please.
Thanks for all the updates.
How'm I doing (attached but strip the txt extension)

I'm still in recovery from the trauma of mis-pronouncing Kinzua (as in "Kinzua dam" in the Allegheny reservoir SW of Bradford PA) and being pulled up by the lady in charge of the US engineers ("Engineers for the public good")

OK I found Sayre, just on the border, and the Chemung snakes off to the WNW, and is close to Montour Falls which is, I think, in Chemung County NY, yes, so the name-source is the same.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:SCHOOKUL---not SHYELKILL-- emphasis on first syllable please.
Thanks for all the updates.
How'm I doing (attached but strip the txt extension)

I'm still in recovery from the trauma of mis-pronouncing Kinzua (as in "Kinzua dam" in the Allegheny reservoir SW of Bradford PA) and being pulled up by the lady in charge of the US engineers ("Engineers for the public good")

OK I found Sayre, just on the border, and the Chemung snakes off to the WNW, and is close to Montour Falls which is, I think, in Chemung County NY, yes, so the name-source is the same.
Yes, name source is the same, but my humble beginnings so many decades ago began in Sayre (my paternal great great great grandparents) and Chemung (found thru my genealogy searches--my husband's maternal great great great grandparents) So while they were cavorting back then, I suppose it was fate that brought us together some generations later :scratch:

Ahhhh, the Kinzew :laugh: dam.....we took day trips from the Williamsport area and trekked all over that reservoir...guess when in Kinzoo, you must do as the natives dew....
Last edited by Hey Jude on 21 May 2011, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.