U.S. storms toll rises to 269

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

U.S. storms toll rises to 269

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Toronto Star
PLEASANT GROVE, Ala. — Dozens of tornadoes ripped through the South, flattening homes and businesses and killing at least 269 people in six states in the deadliest outbreak in nearly 40 years.
(snip!)
Alabama's state emergency management agency said it had confirmed 162 deaths, while there were 32 in Mississippi, 32 in Tennessee, 13 in Georgia, eight in Virginia and one in Kentucky.

That's a lot of deaths.
I hope all loungers and family/friends are safe.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: U.S. storms toll rises to 269

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've lived in Kentucky for 46 years and had the good fortune so far of never having "experienced" a tornago although we have quite a few touchdowns during the year.

I must admit that I get so frightened when they put warning or watches on the web or TV that I don't know what to do with myself. The closest place of safety I could have in my home is the bathtub but unless I stand outside and watch the sky, I would never know when it's "time" to take cover.

There are sirens in each neighborhood but those in my area are so low in volume that they could NEVER be heard inside a home with the windows closed. I've written to my state's emergency management people about that and been ignored.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: U.S. storms toll rises to 269

Post by BobH »

Hi BigAl,

Look for a NOAA storm radio. They are relatively inexpensive. Be sure you get one that has discrete local warnings because if you don't the radio will alarm needlessly when storms are too far away to affect you. We have this one. There are many more out there. You can sometimes find the Midland model for $20 so shop around.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs