Fluorescent Lamp Bulbs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Fluorescent Lamp Bulbs

Post by Bigaldoc »

(American term!)

I participated in a thread about them a long time ago but it's not worth looking up.

I just wanted to point out what I think is a nice stat. The first ever for a free standing lamp that I installed was a three-way the equivalent of a 50-75-100 watt. I installed it in the lamp at my computer desk on April 11, 2007 and it finally burned out on April 25, 2011.

This lamp is also a "security device" as it were because it can be seen through a window at the back of my home. So, I leave it in the ON position 24/7/365. I also have a few others in other lamps that do not get much use, so will probably not have to replace them during MY lifetime!

I don't know about electricity consumption and don't much care, but I think four years is a pretty good deal for the price they charge for these babies.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Fluorescent Lamp Bulbs

Post by BobH »

That is rather remarkable, BigAl.

I'm glad that you are pleased with the flourescent lamps. We tried them but did not like them much. The color they cast is off-putting and we had some problems with buzzing. Don't know why.

I'm looking to convert to LED lamps in the traditional form factor. Saw a spot on the evening news that a Pennsylvania company (Sylvania?) that made incandescent lamps has converted over to LED lamps saving about 80 American jobs.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:... saving about 80 American jobs.
Now THAT I like !!!

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Bigaldoc wrote:(American term!)

I just wanted to point out what I think is a nice stat. The first ever for a free standing lamp that I installed was a three-way the equivalent of a 50-75-100 watt. I installed it in the lamp at my computer desk on April 11, 2007 and it finally burned out on April 25, 2011.
I also started using CFLs some time back and was apprehensive about their claim of a three year life. I have replaced nine 60W flood lamps in my kitchen ceiling with 16W CFL equivalents. I had one burn out last week 2 weeks shy of 4 years.

I have not found any tri-light CFLs yet.
Regards
Don

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I have been pretty happy with the CFLs except in my overhead fan / 4 lamps things. They seem to buzz alot in those. But they work great in the standing lamps and single light posts.
Who will you Inspire today?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Don Wells wrote:

I also started using CFLs some time back and was apprehensive about their claim of a three year life. I have replaced nine 60W flood lamps in my kitchen ceiling with 16W CFL equivalents. I had one burn out last week 2 weeks shy of 4 years.

Don,
It seems that most of the larger hardware stores carry triple wattage CFLs and a ton of them are available on line such as this one.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/3-way ... orescents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only caveat is that you should NOT use them in a dimmer controlled lamp.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

rettingr
StarLounger

Post by rettingr »

I participated in a thread about them a long time ago but it's not worth looking up.

This lamp is also a "security device" as it were because it can be seen through a window at the back of my home. So, I leave it in the ON position 24/7/365. I also have a few others in other lamps that do not get much use, so will probably not have to replace them during MY lifetime!

I don't know about electricity consumption and don't much care, but I think four years is a pretty good deal for the price they charge for these babies.
I recall the previous discussion as well. I installed a CFL in my hall light to leave on for security purposes about 3 Sept 2005. I just replaced it in March 2011. I never turned it off so I am going to blame the only guy who did, the pest control man who comes every other month who makes a point of shutting off every light he turns on and usually ends up shutting off my hall light even though he didn't turn it on... But still worthy of a long run time for one bulb. :fanfare:
Randy

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I've had two of them in my wine cellar since February 1991 and they both still work since I take the wine out of there to drink :evilgrin: We are in the process of replacing all lights with LED lights though, once the bulbs break.
Cheers, Claude.

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Claude wrote:I've had two of them in my wine cellar since February 1991 and they both still work since I take the wine out of there to drink :evilgrin:
I contacted the manufacturer several years ago seeking clarification of the 3 year life expectancy and was advised that this expectation was with the cfl experiencing a cool down and start up 3 times per day. I would expect a noticeably longer life if always left on.
Regards
Don

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

viking33 wrote:
Don Wells wrote:

Don,
It seems that most of the larger hardware stores carry triple wattage CFLs and a ton of them are available on line such as this one.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/3-way ... orescents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only caveat is that you should NOT use them in a dimmer controlled lamp.
I'd been converting my bulbs from incandescent to CFL for the past year, since I installed recessed lighting in my condo last May. With that many to convert at one time (32 fixtures) and several other lights to convert, I've been gradually replacing the incandescent bulbs as they burn out in my least used rooms. What I've found is that the CFL bulbs that are rated as "dimmable" are also very unreliable. They burn out or lose their dimming capacity (and most of their ability to provide light). I replaced 6 of the "dimmable" CFL bulbs in my most frequently used rooms in the first 2 months with dimmable CFL bulbs and when the replacemants failed in another 2 months or less, I replaced them all with halogen flood bulbs. The light output is almost the same in wattage, but the bright white light they throw off more than makes up for the 15 watt difference. The power consumption is higher (50 watts per bulb vs 23 wats for the CFL) but until the technology catches up with the idea, I'm gonna hold off and may wait until they get the LED prices down before I experiment again. My eyesight is bad enough. I don't need to handicap my vision any further with bad lighting. :groan:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

One thing to consider (if these are used for reading lights) is this info .

The microbiology lab I work in had to change all the bench lamps (mostly Anglepoise-style except ours are originals, not retro :laugh: ) back to incandescent bulbs, because of the possible UV exposure. Now we just have to worry about the lamps melting the plates... :sad: and killing the bugs.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

rettingr wrote:I never turned it off... the pest control man who comes every other month...
You need pest control every other month?!?! :flee: Maybe it's the light always being on that attracts them in the first place! :evilgrin:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK, I'm gonna be the one to ask the question.

Has the question of environmental issues attendant with the disposal of the CFL lamps been definitively answered?

One reads a lot of so-called 'authoritative' information in the media and on the web these days. Many of these statements claim that the CFL lamps use materials that will harm the environment when destroyed and that these are more detrimental than the incandescent bulbs they aim to replace. Can anyone point to credible information on this subject?

As I said, I'm holding out for LED lamps in traditional bulb base form factors. I expect to pay premium prices for the bulbs, but from what I read the LEDs will consume far less electricity and last far longer than even the CFL lamps. I'm not certain, but I believe that the LEDs will produce far less heat energy, too.

Anyone?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

BobH wrote: Has the question of environmental issues attendant with the disposal of the CFL lamps been definitively answered?
Perhaps the following quote from the EPA website will help you.
Why use fluorescent bulbs if they contain mercury?

Fluorescents are significantly more energy-efficient than incandescent bulbs because they require less energy to provide lighting. Electrical generation from coal-burning power plants also releases mercury into the environment. The use of fluorescent bulbs in place of incandescent bulbs lowers energy use and thus reduces the associated release of mercury from many power plants. Fluorescent bulbs are also more cost effective because they last up to 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
Regards
Don

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Don.

I don't quite understand the logic that says that using a product that releases mercury will somehow reduce the amount of mercury released by electricity generation without more information. It seems to me that 'they' will continue to produce electricity in ways that release mercury; therefore any additional release of mercury in incremental. Now if they had somehow quantified the amount of electricity production mercury emission would be reduced and compared that with the amount of mercury that CFL lamp production will release, I might find the statement more credible.

The EPA has become an ever-more politicized organization (eg, cap and trade and energy regulation proposals) which reduces its credibility with me, especially when it produces a statement with such circular logic.

I DO appreciate the response but would like to hear from other more independent authorities.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

emiley
NewLounger

Post by emiley »

All the above discussion is seemed to me as something confusing about mercury bulbs and lamps. But it is not a matter of fact. These would be so cool and will give relaxing effects. Mercury is a good conductor of light. So It will be useful to have it in a lamp bulb.
I also appreciate the information gives to all of you in this forum. Thanks to all of you for taking part.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

In Switzerland CFLs can be returned to the vendor, or the recycling centre for proper disposal. We pay a tax (taxe anticipée de recyclage or TAR) when we purchase these to cover the inevitable cost.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Bowlie wrote:In Switzerland CFLs can be returned to the vendor, or the recycling centre for proper disposal. We pay a tax (taxe anticipée de recyclage or TAR) when we purchase these to cover the inevitable cost.
Somehow that is too sensible to ever be adopted in the US. I've always said that the responsibility for waste reduction and recycling should be placed with the manufacturers. If the waste disposal costs were forced into the retail price there would be more incentive for manufacturers to stop wasteful practices. I know I'm older than many here, but I recall when packaged goods were a much smaller part of any retailer's inventory. One could buy crackers and cookies (biscuits) from barrels or display cases and almost nothing in a hardware store was prepackaged in small quantities; they were counted out of bins. Nowadays we get wrap rage caused by the over use of sealed plastic for even the smallest, most insignificant items.

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking forward to hearing from more folks.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)