Karens Power Tools etc

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Karens Power Tools etc

Post by jaystarter »

I may have missed a posting here about this and if so would a mod please delete this to save duplication, but over at "the other place" I was saddend to hear of the passing of Karen Kenworthy. I found her power tools very usefull and still use karens replicator as a back up tool on an old XP machine. Simple and effective. A couple of links from there if any one interested http://langa.posterous.com/rip-karen-kenworthy and from Tulsa World http://www.tulsaworld.com/ourlives/arti ... rchive=yes
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: Karens Power Tools etc

Post by HansV »

I hadn't heard about this. It's saddening indeed, but she leaves behind her wonderful utilities, which I'm sure will be used for years to come.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Oh my Lord, that's such a sad note! I have been a follower of Karen's work since way before internet days. I had no idea about this and I appreciate you making the post. May she rest in peace!

Edited: I just looked and I've been her newsletter subscriber since 2000 and have eight of her programs installed on my computer. I admit that some of them have hardly been used, but a more generous person one could not have asked for!
Last edited by Bigaldoc on 19 Apr 2011, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Sad. I have a couple of Karen's utilities here.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

jaystarter wrote:I may have missed a posting here about this and if so would a mod please delete this to save duplication, but over at "the other place" I was saddend to hear of the passing of Karen Kenworthy. I found her power tools very usefull and still use karens replicator as a back up tool on an old XP machine. Simple and effective. A couple of links from there if any one interested http://langa.posterous.com/rip-karen-kenworthy and from Tulsa World http://www.tulsaworld.com/ourlives/arti ... rchive=yes
Thank you Jay for posting this sad information. I wondered why her programs have not been updated recently. I use about 4 of them and never had a problem with one of them, and to top it off all of them are freeware. I will continue to use them until with more Windows version updates they no longer contimue to work.

I hope someone will continue her work although no one, in my estimation, will ever be able to write such marvelous software.

I've used her programs for so long and sometimes wrote to her for advice, I never thought she would leave us so suddenly and so soon.

RIP Karen, you can now take that long overdue rest.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just for posterity sake, here's a clip from the very first newsletter I received from Karen in February 2000. It kinda echoes what you said, Gloria, about why she did what she did and the impact it had on MANY "computing" lives:

• This is one of those foggy winter nights when every light has a halo,
      and the roads are slick and black. Ordinarily I'd stay at home and sit
      by the fire. But it's my Father's 71st birthday, and my mom threw a
      party in the nearby town where they live. So naturally I wanted to be
      there. We had a wonderful time. But now it's good to be home.

Every time we get together, my Mother and Father ask about my work. I
      always tell them, in great detail, what I've been doing. But even after
      all these years I still don't know how much they understand.

When I wrote my book, they were happy. They could hold it in their hands
      and show it to their friends. They also understand I wrote a monthly
      column for a magazine, and that now I write a weekly newsletter.

But over the years, I've spent most of my time writing computer
      programs. And there's something about being a computer programmer that's
      hard for many people to understand. That's too bad, because programming
      computers is a wonderful way to make your living. It lets you exercise a
      combination of intuition, creativity, detailed analysis, and precision
      in a way unlike any other profession. It's gratifying, seeing your
      latest creation come to life. And even more gratifying, learning later,
      that your program has made someone's life easier.

I for one will miss my long-time friend from afar!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

For some unknown reason, I always had trouble receiving her newsletters. The one you posted is among those I missed. It's so Karen, what else can I say? I feel like I've lost a long time friend.

Thanks Al for sharing.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Joe_KarenWare
NewLounger

Post by Joe_KarenWare »

Gloria E -- You can find all of Karen's Power Tools Newsletters on https://www.karenware.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Here's one:

November 6, 2001

By Karen Kenworthy

IN THIS ISSUE

New 'Net Monitor
Updated Power Toy
Dear Friends,

Once again I must apologize for not writing. As many of you have noticed, our last get-together was back in early August. We've been apart for almost three months. And that's way too long.

A lot has happened while we've been apart. Everyone knows about September 11th. And tragedies and heartache haven't been confined to the events of that day. Death, pain and suffering always surround us. The world can be a sad and disappointing place.

But not always. Since last we met, my friends, the lovely Monica and her beau Bill, have had their baby. Young "Will" is a strapping lad, a joy to all who lay eyes on him. And just yesterday my Mom called to tell me I'll soon be a great-aunt again! My brother Bill's daughter, Vanessa, and her husband are expecting their second child next summer.

Now tonight, as I write this note, a miracle of a different sort is happening. For the first time in anyone's memory, the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights, is visible in the sky above the secluded Power Tools workshop. Invisible particles, sped across millions of miles of space, entered the earth's atmosphere, and now paint the night sky with a palette of iridescent pastel lights.

There's no doubt about it ... the world can be a joyous and delightful place.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Gloria E hasn't been online for almost 5 years. I fear that, like Karen, she is no longer with us.
Best wishes,
Hans

Joe_KarenWare
NewLounger

Post by Joe_KarenWare »

Thank you, Hans -- Perhaps Gloria and Karen have already taken some time to catch up on their reading together, then. :)