Has anyone set up a BlackBerry to sync with Exchange Server?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Has anyone set up a BlackBerry to sync with Exchange Server?

Post by John Gray »

I've recently done this for a Nokia E5-00, and it was a bit gruesome.

No doubt a BlackBerry will be even more complicated, so I'd be grateful for any tips, prior to me actually seeing the device itself!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Has anyone set up a BlackBerry to sync with Exchange Ser

Post by Bigaldoc »

Good luck, John. I've had my Blackberry for less than a year and I recall there were only TWO options for synch: Outlook or Yahoo on the web (calendar, contacts, and memos).

Besides which I have no experience with servers. Sorry...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Al - I think I'll need it.
So far I discover I need to download and install 533 MB of "BlackBerry Enterprise Software Express for Microsoft Exchange" software. And the server requirements read like installing Exchange Server itself (or a bit less).
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

John, I can't directly help you as I don't work on the server side, but my corporate BB has in the past synched with Exchange, at present syncs with Domino (Lotus Notes Server), and is to be converted back to Exchange some time this summer; I would guess about 5,000 of our 28,000 employees have a Blackberry. So there have to be MS/RIM tools available to do this for Exchange environments.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

We also use BBs and they are all set to sync with Outlook and the Exchange server. The important thing for me was to turn off the sync so that I can delete from my BB without deleting from Outlook. I would guess that around 300 employees have the BB here. So, as Goshute says, there must be some good tools out there to get this working. Unfortunately I cannot help as I do not work the servers. :(
Who will you Inspire today?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Some more research indicates that it might be possible to use Outlook Web Access (OWA) rather than a great clodhopping lump of software, so since this is considerably easier this will probably be my initial approach.

Thanks for the comments!
John Gray

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

You might poke around with some of these products and discussions http://www.google.com/search?q=outlook+mobile+access" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens