I weep ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

I weep ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

24 years ago I nearly cried when I saw a senior executive using DOS Lotus 123 v 2.1 as a word processor to produce a memo.
Yesterday I almost wept when I saw a Mac Excel spreadsheet (different firm) with, in one cell(1), the string "2 x 6 x 300" and in the cell adjacent to the right "$3600".
The owner was about to edit the second cell to key in a comma between the "3" and the "6".
Has it all come down to this?

(1) Yes, those are lower-case alphabetic "x" characters
He who plants a seed, plants life.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: I weep ...

Post by jonwallace »

OMG :weep:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:OMG :weep:
Yup!
What really hurts, as always, is that this company makes more in 1 month than I make in 3 years. And there's only 2 of them at work.
Plus I worked that out using Excel formulas!
No, Dang! My background is in compiler-writing: I could develop my own interpreter to work that out ...

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Right now I'm dealing with changing the focus of the programming to the date field X was added rather than what was input into field X (date, null). Now you'd think, wouldn't you, that if you were in this program and had to put the date you ran your ex over with the car into field X, you would just put in, you know, today's date because that's when you did it? Or would you backdate it to try to hide your crime?

But changing pre-calculated data on spreadsheets, oy! That's much worse.... :weep:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

ChrisGreaves wrote:24 years ago I nearly cried when I saw a senior executive using DOS Lotus 123 v 2.1 as a word processor to produce a memo.
Yesterday I almost wept when I saw a Mac Excel spreadsheet (different firm) with, in one cell(1), the string "2 x 6 x 300" and in the cell adjacent to the right "$3600".
The owner was about to edit the second cell to key in a comma between the "3" and the "6".
Has it all come down to this?

(1) Yes, those are lower-case alphabetic "x" characters

Just as some people are not allowed to drive cars, some people should not be allowed to have computers. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

We should have a thread, the most ridiculous things you have seen with an excel spreadsheet....

My worst annoyance at the moment.... People who fill every cell in white instead of turning off the gridlines! :scold:
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

:jollyroger: I had a boss who was annoyed by Outlook Meeting Reminders popping up on his screen, so he set his default for no reminders (by unchecking the reminder time setting). Then he'd chew me out for not showing or being late to his meetings.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

The head of our office (where the typists work - that kind of office) was given a PC and MS Word 5 (for DOS - calculate when this was if you like). Her letter writing and filing technique involved 1 (one) file. Any new letters were added to the end of this file. Oh, I did mean 1 file, no backups. One day it died...

Not having learned her lesson, she took the same technique to Windows 3.1 and Word 2.0, but she extended her skills to using tabs to move her cursor
to the next line.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Just as some people are not allowed to drive cars, some people should not be allowed to have computers.
Yes, but then, how would any of you know what I was thinking? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

VegasNath wrote: People who fill every cell in white instead of turning off the gridlines!
Now that's just plain ecological bad manners, wasting all that white ink ... :cop: