Newfoundland

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Newfoundland

Post by Don Wells »

In 1949 Newfoundland joined Canada as our tenth province. In joining it brought not only a warm and generous group of people into the Canadian community; it also brought a unique time zone that is explained here.
    The CBC (Canada's national radio network), regularly broadcast portions of their schedule identifying that a given program would be aired at given times in various cities. They always ended up with a time for Halifax, and then added "and a half hour later in Newfoundland". This became the source of many jokes over the years; in that something would occur a half hour later in Newfie land.
    Newfoundland Tourism, found here, are running TV ads, one of which ends with "When you’re always a half hour ahead, you never feel the need to catch up.". A very well crafted advertisement that can be captured from their website, by selecting the 'Cape St. Mary's' thumbnail then playing the video.
Cape_St_Marys.jpg
Revised by Don: Originally said
    "Newfoundland Tourism, found here, are running radio ads..." in error
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Don Wells on 30 Jan 2011, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Don

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Newfoundland

Post by PaulB »

I tend to tune out most ads on TV but whenever one of these NL ads appear, I sit down and watch even if I have seen it before. They are visually stunning and so low key. It's a pity they don't have the whole series online.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Don Wells wrote:... something would occur a half hour later in Newfie land.
South Australia has a similar problem/solution which has sucked in Broken Hill (NSW ).
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Beautiful!

Thanks for posting this, for I would have missed the videos otherwise.

I particularly liked the shot of the couple walking with both a labrador and a newfoundland - 2 of my favorite breeds.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs