Kitty-Litter - Which non-clay litter to use?

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Kitty-Litter - Which non-clay litter to use?

Post by Hey Jude »

Eggnog happens to be an adopted cat from a pet rescue service. There was a 10 page questionnaire which basically was akin to purchasing a home. The question was asked by the "case worker" about declawing and that they permitted it ONLY if the cat would be an indoor cat. Under no exception would they allow it otherwise. It was "odd" to me that this point alone could have stopped the "adoption" There will be periodic follow-up visits by said case worker to ensure the livelihood of the cat. When we discussed declawing with the vet, we were told that ONLY the front claws were permitted IF the cat would be indoors. There have been too many cases where folks get cats, declaw them and then dump them outside where they aren't able to defend themselves. I totally agree with that. We aren't like that. Each one of you is entitled to your opinions, but it would have been preferable to have addressed the pros/cons of this topic heretofore.

I don't find declawing a cat in the same genre as cropping a dog's ears, or tail so they make a better exhibition at a dog show. I felt, and the vet concurred, that this procedure should be done when they were at least 3 lbs and the earlier for the least amount of pain, for which she has pain meds for a few days. I don't feel I'm inhumane, but then, that's all a matter of perspective I suppose.

Carry On.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Very well then, I'll try to compose a statement that is not accusatory toward anyone except Chris' comment about the amputation of his fingers! No comparison in my opinion!

I AM one who was criticized 11 years ago by one or more or my European Lounge friends (in "the other place") for the inhumane treatment of my baby cat when I had her front claws removed. I fully admit that this is an elective surgical procedure done to placate the human owners and alleviate the shredded furniture resulting from a cat's natural instinct to scratch. But, we also perform MAJOR surgery on our pet friends to remove their ovaries and whatever the procedure involves for male cats and dogs and no one makes a sound about this. It's considered "animal management" in our human world. Do we do those SURGERIES for convenience of the humans or the animals? Those are major surgical procedures and we treat them as commonplace events! Removing of a cat's claws is NOT analogous with removing one's fingers! Sorry!

In the "human world" we also have MAJOR elective surgical procedures that many people willingly undergo for the process of birth control. Are those procedures considered inhumane? Many people willingly have elective surgical procedures to remove excess fat from their bodies, improve their physical appearance ("plastic" surgery) or improve their physical well being. No one seems to blink twice at those procedures.

I had my cat declawed 11 years ago and yes, it was a difficult post-operative time. I administered pain medication to her and provided her with all the love and attention I could, including the making available of "sanitary" conditions that enhanced her recovery. To this day, she and I are soul mates and I don't think she "hates" me for what I did to her.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote: I fully admit that this is an elective surgical procedure done to placate the human owners and alleviate the shredded furniture resulting.

I had my cat declawed 11 years ago and yes, it was a difficult post-operative time. I administered pain medication to her and provided her with all the love and attention I could, including the making available of "sanitary" conditions that enhanced her recovery. To this day, she and I are soul mates and I don't think she "hates" me for what I did to her.

Obviously she doesn't hate you. Eggnog is alert and not crying or yowling and is soaking up the TLC. Proverbs 12:10 says, "The righteous man regardeth the life of his beast" and in my heart and mind her paws were not whacked off viciously. In many regards, veterinarians take more comfort care with animals than some of the bozos out there practicing medicine on humans. She has bandages for 3 days without stitches as they use a substance like liquid bandaid to alleviate further pain.

I rest.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I'm surprised we have had no comment from Big Cheese. After all, he is the expert on being Claude.

Somebody who calls a spayed a spayed.

Newspaper kitty litter provides an alternative clause.