Post by ChrisGreaves »

Toronto Star

... “driving or leading a vessel with boots full of vodka seems to be safe,”
He who plants a seed, plants life.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: April 1st arrives early this year

Post by John Gray »

It is compulsory for all scientific papers to end with the words, "More research is needed...".

I suppose the sentence, "Hansen insists this is a research area that begs for more studies" fulfils this requirement.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:It is compulsory for all scientific papers to end with the words, "More research is needed..."
Exactly.
I've written short articles on this, how a large proportion of the light-fear inducing stuff in the local "Daily Crap" seems to be someone whose funding is about to run out and is now getting as much media attention as possible to justify a plea for more funding: "Everyone is concerned about it ...".

http://www.chrisgreaves.com/ClearThinking/SuperantTakingOverEurope.htm
http://www.chrisgreaves.com/ClearThinking/ImDyingForADrink.htm
http://www.chrisgreaves.com/ClearThinking/GlobalBalding.htm

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Could it possibly be that the need for grant money was the cause of the 'global warming' (now climate change) kerfuffle?

Just today, I read that the UK researcher who linked autism in children to vaccines had doctored his data (probably to ensure more funding).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:I read that the UK researcher who linked autism in children to vaccines had doctored his data (probably to ensure more funding).
OK. I'll grant you that possibility :flee:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, but will I be able to absorb it. :flee: :flee: :flee: :flee: :flee: :flee: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:...I read that the UK researcher who linked autism in children to vaccines had doctored his data...
And he has been struck off the medical register after being found guilty of serious professional misconduct by the General Medical Council. See MMR doctor struck from register
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:... had doctored his data (probably to ensure more funding).
According to the information over here, if true, it was related to some lobbyists that didn't like vaccines, or the MMR, triple-vaccine (some parents apparently are nervous about all kind of different things…), and that they had, ehm, paid to get a certain result (mentioned in Stuart's link).
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

StuartR wrote:And he has been struck off the medical register................
Good!

With all the heartache and confusion in the world of Autism more false knowledge is the last thing we need.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Graeme wrote:...
With all the heartache and confusion in the world of Autism more false knowledge is the last thing we need.
He wasn't struck off for the misleading reporting, it was for carrying out unlicensed experiments on children (or something very similar).
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:.... had doctored his data (probably to ensure more funding).
I'm puzzled that a used-to-be-reputable journal published it without seeking confirmation.
I thought the whole point about The Scientific Method (Asimov, Dawkins et al.) was that you had someone else reproduce your results in an independent fashion before publication.
I expect a journal to ask the author for the independent results.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

ChrisGreaves wrote: I thought the whole point about The Scientific Method (Asimov, Dawkins et al.) was that you had someone else reproduce your results in an independent fashion before publication.
I expect a journal to ask the author for the independent results.
Don't make me laugh! A glance at current controversy regarding XMRV and ME/CFS will reveal such dirty tricks as having you papers "peer reviewed" by your wife; and filling the reference list with references that don't actually say what you say they say.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:... such dirty tricks as having you papers "peer reviewed" by your wife; and filling the reference list with references that don't actually say what you say they say.
Right.
I'm with you.
But isn't a (medical) journal's reputation based on its thorough checking of this stuff?
I mean, isn't that why it supposed to be so hard to get something published in a serious journal (as distinct from the "Chris Greaves Review of Vermicomposting in Etobicoke")

Asimov had a great story on the N-rays hoax. It's in a book somewhere in my bookshelves.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote: "More research is needed...".
Here's a study that in essence suggests that a grant should be made to study the harmful effects on studies funded by grants.