Paypal Prank or Personal Paranoia

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Paypal Prank or Personal Paranoia

Post by Graeme »

I’ve been trying to sell my car. I put an advert in Ad Trader and waited for the responses. One response was an email from Nina Mattfred:

Thanks for the prompt response.. I have read through the information on the website and am ready to purchase it now as a New Year gift for my father. I am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want this to be a surprise for my father so i wont let him know about this transaction until it delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy to see this. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address reconfirm the price so i can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments...
>
> Regards
> Nina

I can tend towards the paranoid at times so my reply was a little guarded:

Hello Nina

That's great news.
Sounds like you have an interesting job!
I don't have a Paypal account but you can bring cash when you come to collect the car if you like.
Please phone me and I'll let you know my address.
Regards
Graeme

The reply received tonight was:

Thanks for the reply...you can easily sign up for paypapl just three step you take to open, i dont have much time to reply much mails, kindly do that and get back to me with you account for me to complete this transaction, and also Calls are restricted as i told you in my previous i will be waiting for your account details on paypal.
Nina

A quick Google of her name reveals that she is either from Kuwait or Baltimore. I get the feeling that she is not going to appear with £2,000 cash for me in her hand any time soon. So, anyone want to buy a Peugeot 206 SE, 2004, one owner from new, 45,000 miles, full service history, lovely car, genuine reason for sale, honest John!

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: Paypal Prank or Personal Paranoia

Post by HansV »

I don't think I'd trust this Nina...

And thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

Just because you are paranoid, does not mean they are not after you, (or your money)!!!!
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Graeme wrote:So, anyone want to buy a Peugeot 206 SE, 2004, one owner from new, 45,000 miles, full service history, lovely car, genuine reason for sale, honest John!
Oo yes, exactly what I am looking for. I'll send my agent accross tomorrow with a cheque. It won't bounce, honest :grin:
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I'm after a secondhand car, do you want my PayPal details perhaps ? BTW, you'll have to deliver it before the end of the year. No floods or bushfire in Sydney at the moment, so no excuses :laugh:
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ha! So Graeme still has more than 11 hours to drive the car to Australia... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

If you haven't sold your car yet I can recommend Gumtree
- http://www.gumtree.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's free but because the advert postcode is used for online mapping I used the one for my local Post Office a couple of streets away.

BTW my car sold within 3 hours of placing the advert.
Regards
wasbit

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

HansV wrote:Ha! So Graeme still has more than 11 hours to drive the car to Australia... :grin:
Australia? It wouldn't make it to Ashford before the exhaust fell off! (But don't tell Nina!)

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

wasbit wrote: If you haven't sold your car yet I can recommend Gumtree
Cheers, I'll try that.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Graeme wrote:
wasbit wrote: If you haven't sold your car yet I can recommend Gumtree
Cheers, I'll try that.
I might try that too, I have a slightly bent Renault Clio I may have to sell in the near future.

Ken