Question for Europeans about Tourism

BobH
UraniumLounger

Question for Europeans about Tourism

Post by BobH »

Many years ago, in Germany and elsewhere in Europe, there was a tradition of tourists adopting what I remember as being called "fahrenstücks", although I might misremember the term. A fahrenstück was a wooden walking stick to which one attached little metal plates purchased at sites visited and placed on the stick thus becoming travel mementos while serving at the same time to announce how well traveled one might be.

Does this practice still exist in Europe? Am I anywhere close to having the term correct?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: Question for Europeans about Tourism

Post by RonH »

Bob,
That certainly was a tradition withe some and I still have my ice pick with various metal plates. Not sure if this practice still occurs, given photography with GPS locations recording travel.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have not seen one of these for many years
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen.

I have my deceased older brothers fahrenstück from before 1955.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs