LESSON LEARNED!

kdock
5StarLounger

LESSON LEARNED!

Post by kdock »

As it happened, it took both a night in the wild AND a lot of shoveling to get the Honda back in the garage, safe and sound. It was a beautiful, if brief, sunny day today, which made the task a bit easier...

Lesson Learned.jpg

...in time for the next round of snow Thursday.

I would have sworn those small wispy things I unearthed (unsnowed?) were leaves, but they could very well have been fairies. I didn't have my field guide with me.

Kim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: LESSON LEARNED!

Post by BobH »

What happened to the nice Mercedes, Kim?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Did you get to a car wash also?
I see now road dirt or snow on side of the car!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

kdock wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 22:08
...the Honda back in the garage...
Impressive :hailpraise: Our previous house had a single garage and our one the car went in the garage every night. Our current house (of over 20 years) has a double garage but neither of our two cars have ever been in the garage.

Ken

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

BobH wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 00:18
What happened to the nice Mercedes, Kim?
It refused to go out. The drift in front of that side of the garage was quite a bit deeper and it's a little sensitive about only having 2-wheel drive.

Kim
Last edited by kdock on 20 Jan 2022, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

DaveA wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 16:24
Did you get to a car wash also?
I see now road dirt or snow on side of the car!
Dirt?! We do have quite a bit of red clay here, but it's not on the driveway and it's covered by <wait for it....> SNOW!

So it could be a bit of snow, although I don't see what you see. There are lots of reflections in there.

Kim

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Nice drive.
Do you fit winter wheels/tyres in your world?
Our drive is quite steep and just now ice covered, but these soft tyres handle it OK.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

RonH wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 07:13
Nice drive.
Do you fit winter wheels/tyres in your world?
Our drive is quite steep and just now ice covered, but these soft tyres handle it OK.
It doesn't snow enough here to have winter tires installed. But it snows just enough to strand us at the bottom of our driveway. I think if we'd had chains or other tire accessories we would have been able to make it back up. It's on the list of things to do. :grin:

Kim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

SkiLift.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

kdock wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 21:36
It doesn't snow enough here to have winter tires installed. But it snows just enough to strand us at the bottom of our driveway.
The obvious answer, then is to Be The First in Your Area to have a heated driveway, which would prevent the snow forming. Turn the heating up even higher, and you could dry the driveway, removing the melted snow or even ordinary rain. A Heat Pump is probably the way to go.
Just pleased to help with ideas... :thumbup:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 08:13
The obvious answer, then is to Be The First in Your Area to have a heated driveway, ...
nah!
Go for broke.
Be the first on your street to think of sliding (well you said the driveway was icy) your house and garage DOWN the driveway to the street end.
Here in Newfoundland, when we talk of "moving house", we mean it!

The 100 or so books I have accumulated on Newfoundland history have many accounts and photos of houses being floated across the waters.
See also "The Shipping News" by Annie Proulx
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

One wonders if electricity from solar panels to heat driveways would work. Of course, retrofitting them for existing driveways would be problematic, but they might be a good idea for new installations. Long driveways would, no doubt, require large solar arrays and might not be feasible; however for shorter driveways of limited surface area, they might be feasible.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Bob - why not make the driveway out of solar panels (of appropriate structural integrity and abrasion resistance)?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

John Gray wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 19:05
Bob - why not make the driveway out of solar panels (of appropriate structural integrity and abrasion resistance)?
Flame thrower? Just a suggestion ... :grin:
Regards,
John

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

jstevens wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 20:54
John Gray wrote:
Flame thrower? Just a suggestion ... :grin:
Okay, now you're all just being silly. A simple winch at the top of the driveway should do the trick. Of course, that could be solar powered.

Hmmmm...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

John Gray wrote:
Snow on the solar panels would block the sun making them dysfunctional. Even leaves could drastically affect the efficiency of the panels. They need to be mounted high enough to avoid shadows cast on them to work properly. Of course, even mounted on roofs snow on them would block the sun; so some means to clear them would be needed.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

BobH wrote:
22 Jan 2022, 00:31
John Gray wrote:
Snow on the solar panels would block the sun making them dysfunctional. Even leaves could drastically affect the efficiency of the panels. They need to be mounted high enough to avoid shadows cast on them to work properly. Of course, even mounted on roofs snow on them would block the sun; so some means to clear them would be needed.
Perhaps the panels could be mounted in Florida and a long cable run, the way my dad used to heat his shed when he escaped to it in winter. Mind you that was just from the kitchen (propping the window open for the wire and helping the fridge by cooling the kitchen) across the back garden, but the basic principle is the same, I'm sure.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 19:01
One wonders if electricity from solar panels to heat driveways would work.
This I am doing, sort of. My little wind turbine (not yet operational because of this) is part of a system with a reservoir of car batteries (apparently $10 each from wrecked cars). I need only a snow-shovel wide path (18 inches) down my driveway, and I figured an out-and-back loop of driveway cable, switched on as the snow begins to fall, would save me shoveling even my narrow path to the impenetrable snowbank thrown up by the Town's snow plough on each pass.
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace