constructed reality

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

constructed reality

Post by stuck »

Today as we walked the skies were grey:
IMG_1666_sooc_4web.JPG
It's a pity I couldn't have twiddled with some settings while we were out the way I can here at home:
IMG_1666_reimagined_4web.jpg
:grin:

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: constructed reality

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 16:22
Today as we walked the skies were grey: It's a pity I couldn't have twiddled with some settings while we were out the way I can here at home:
So, Ken, what you are telling me is that from this day on I should not trust any image that you present to me. Is that right? Or is a much simpler interpretation in force? (I shall refrain from stating the simpler interpretation explicitly :evilgrin:)

Next thing, you'll be saying that there is no Santa Claus ...

:xhumbug:
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 16:35
what you are telling me is that from this day on I should not trust any image that you present to me.
Sort of. The line about the camera never lying has always been a lie, I hinted at that in the recent thread about black and white film. The chemistry of B&W film is reasonably simple and so even an amateur darkroom can manipulate the look and feel of the final print. Colour film with it's more complex chemistry is less straightforward to fiddle with in a darkroom so fewer amateurs dabble in this field but it can be done.

Digital images and image editing software are much more accessible by anyone. Now anyone can tweak a photo.

You also need to remember that the data captured by a digital sensor is just a bunch of numbers, A computer program is required to convert that raw data into a JPEG/TIFF/etc. There will be as many such programs as there are cameras, all written by different software developers, i.e. the images you see on your camera/smartphone are just one interpretation (the one selected by the camera/smartphone manufacturer) of the raw data captured by the sensor.

Ken

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Manipulating photos is all Ansel Adams did and nobody poo-pooed that. In fact, he started destroying his unacceptable prints rather than simply throwing them out because people would raid his trash for the cast-offs.

Just sayin' K
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.