Good news on the zucchini front!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Good news on the zucchini front!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

The pressure of distributing Zucchini, Pumpkin, Squash and Cucumber has been lowered. :clapping: Swyers and Foodland can remain in business.

August's newly-arrived winter weather with temperatures dropping to 7c after four days of winds lashing us at over 65 km/h, the cucurbit crop has been curbed.
20210904_101912.jpg
Here is the driveway bed. Now these pumpkin were freebies; I just scattered a 2.5 Kg flour sack of seeds over the grass clippings and left them to rot. So why have the half-dozen plants that sprouted, shriveled up and died? Maybe the weather. Maybe the year’s allowance of grass clippings (from two local contractors) are not well-decomposed and have created a toxic goo that the worms haven’t yet slapped into line.
20210904_101945.jpg
In the “south forty” things are even better. I can now see some of the beet, onion, and radish I planted back in my hay-day. Once the vines have died back a bit more I can start ferreting out the dozen or so beet that have survived.
20210904_101956.jpg
My first set of artichokes got hammered by the four days of wind; the knot I had tied was undone by the winds (a good tip if you are ever tied up with your hands behind your back: just keep on wriggling for 96 hours straight and some good will come of it), so I shanghaied Bernard into helping me retie them, but it is not the same. One variety has flowered, but not the other two, and you can see that the three clumps are keen to go their separate ways. In a week or two I will be able to hang out a full load of laundry again.

Perhaps I should have moved back to Singapore?

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Good news on the zucchini front!

Post by John Gray »

The only "good news on the zucchini (courgette) front" would be that they had been utterly and totally abolished and eradicated from the known universe!
Not that I have anything against them, of course... :thumbup:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 17:09
The only "good news on the zucchini (courgette) front" would be that they had been utterly and totally abolished and eradicated from the known universe!
Not that I have anything against them, of course... :thumbup:
Ah well! Look on the bright side, John.
There's always tomarrow! :groan:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 13:15
The pressure of distributing Zucchini, Pumpkin, Squash and Cucumber has been lowered. :clapping: Swyers and Foodland can remain in business.
2022 has been a particularly good year for zucchinis here, and I estimate that I have had to give away only a half dozen or so; no more than twelve, for sure. But even then i had to resort to subterfuge. The inhabitants are a simple but warm people (everyone wears a coat) and while they distrust anything foreign, such as zucchini, they will take home a marrow with glee. He he :evilgrin:
2022_08_20220827_101347.jpg
That said, it has been an awful year for pumpkins.

What used to be my second driveway now boasts three self-seeded pumpking plants. No, that's not a typo; I am trying to convey activity with the present participle.
My humble abode has stopped the advance to the south; that and the bonus offered to my windows team - a dollar for every time they stepped on a vine - and in the foreground an apparently bare patch, but just the area I slashed back with axe and shovel on 27th August to give my baby gooseberry plants a bit of fresh air and sunlight.,
2022_09_20220918_092410.jpg
This morning I donned a green shirt (camouflage) and placed my shoe on the neck of a pumpkin to signal submission. Of who or what is uncertain. I wanted to state "this far and no further" because visitors still talk about "your front lawn", even though it is really long grass to encourage the insects, to encourage the birds. We need the phosphates, you know.
The serious piece of timber is my line-in-the-sand, and that is where the axe/shovel do their job every fortnight. The four gooseberry plants remaining (two went to Bunyan's Cove) have been layered, so next year I might populate the entire second-driveway-that-was with gooseberry plants, and invite the neighbourhood kids to pick gooseberries until their thin arms run red with blood.
2022_09_20220918_092318.jpg
Think "medicine ball". This is part of what used to be my back lawn, but is now known as "that area where the white plastic lawn chair gets blown around a lot most days"

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Almost two years have passed and I am happy to report that the zucchini appear to have been wiped out, or at least, not planted this year. Nor squash.
Predictably, two people have already asked me for squash and zucchini.
Tough luck! They will have to make do with pumpkin this year.
2023_08_20230807_183847.jpg
Tucked away behind the shed four pumpkin appear to be at the height of my paling fence, but the truth is I was too lazy to move four mounds of compost from last year, so just planted the seeds atop those four piles.
Next year, maybe ...
2023_08_20230807_183905 [800x600].jpg
The flower buds have begin to form, and already the vines are snaking their way south, out of the vegetable beds, across what is left of the lawn.

13c and cold northerly winds at 1000 this morning.

I have almost finished eating the rhubarb bottled in 2021.
Cheers, Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Not a long growing season then, eh? :flee:

It was 101°F at 9:15 CDT last night but a cool 93 as I type this. We are told it will be 106 or more by late afternoon.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 17:39
It was 101°F at 9:15 CDT last night but a cool 93 as I type this. We are told it will be 106 or more by late afternoon.
My bedroom heaters turned on at 1400 today.
BTW, what are you and I bragging about? :scratch: :scratch:
Cheers, Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In Texas we don't call that braggin. We call it "passin' Howdy" between friends. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 17:27
My bedroom heaters turned on at 1400 today...
:snow: So Chris, remind us all, why did you move to Bonavista?

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 17:52
ChrisGreaves wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 17:27
My bedroom heaters turned on at 1400 today...
:snow: So Chris, remind us all, why did you move to Bonavista?
Happy to do so, Ken.
Once I can recall my reasons. :sad: :scratch:
I have a vague memory of a $40,000 two-storey house,with a bit of space off the end of the driveway where, I said to myself, I could have a tiny potato patch.
8251643_22614794.c.jpg
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 17:52
So Chris, remind us all, why did you move to Bonavista?
Got it!
I went back to my diary of two days ago:-
Tuesday, August 08, 2023
After chatting with Stephen, off to the PO and chat with Dianne, then Swyers - Kelly from the office chats about sultanas and Grace walks up; we all chat. I chat with Cierra and Melissa, then with Jason, Hi Pete, and with Darcy and carpenter on the way home, then with Grant and his grandson. I walk over and chat with David, Kerry, Samantha. That’s fourteen people who know me and twelve of them I know by name.

The afternoon was even better ...
Cheers, Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Ah yes, the warmth of friendship keeps out the cold weather :hugs:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 15:54
Ah yes, the warmth of friendship keeps out the cold weather :hugs:
... and with evil forces like Hans, we need all the friends we can get, right? :evilgrin:
Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:devil:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 17:05
:devil:
"Per Storm-Mathisen, a spokesman for the power station operator, ..."
It's just not a good day for names, is it?
Cheers, Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

@Hans

If you haven't already, please add that creation to the smilies.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid we can't - after Windows Secrets, AskWoody.com obtained the use of Lex.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Isn't Lex the lizard-like avatar? I think BobH is referring to your little devil smilie above. Or is that also called Lex?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It's already there, it's called 'devil'.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Oh sorry - I was confusing two threads. The :devil: smiley has been there all along: type :devil: into a post.
Best wishes,
Hans