If this doesn't bring a smile to your face AND tears to your eyes, I give up!

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Re: If this doesn't bring a smile to your face AND tears to your eyes, I give up!

Post by GeoffW »

I guess she was then able to play the very low notes.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: If this doesn't bring a smile to your face AND tears to your eyes, I give up!

Post by BobH »

Maybe her career is on the rise! :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

She's a treble raiser.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 00:26
I guess she was then able to play the very low notes.
She should've been driving a Bösendorfer. =https://standrewstoronto.org/events/mu ... St Andrews (Toronto), rolls one out for their free lunchtime concerts. The Grand has extra keys at the left hand end for those very low notes.
Way beyond my technical knowledge, but I'll be surprised if someone here doesn't know about them.
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 19:00
So why did you bring mustard into it? We having hot dogs?
OK Bob. You got me!
It has taken me almost 24 hours to understand your post.
Untitled.png
:surrender: :stupidme: :surrender:
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I recall seeing Victor Borge in concert. He insisted on a Bösendorfer grand and pointed it out claiming it to be the best piano and the only one he would use. I think it might have traveled with him on tour.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 16:24
I recall seeing Victor Borge in concert. He insisted on a Bösendorfer grand and pointed it out claiming it to be the best piano and the only one he would use. I think it might have traveled with him on tour.
I must have heard Dan Biclke (St Andrews) refer to their Bösendorfer at the start of some 50 concerts before he added to his announcement that "today we will hear the full range" because one of the pieces used that lower octave(?). I can be so blind to quality until it up and slaps me in the face.

I did not know that factoid concerning Borge, but I can believe that at his level he could insist on the hair colour of the cat whose gut supplied the strings. If piano's have strings.
On my pension I can't afford the toy xylophone down at Riffs.
Bösendorfers go for quite high prices

Amazon didn't turn up any Bösendorfers ...
Untitled.png
... although a hard-copy BOOK that MIGHT contain a reference to a Bösendorfer is listed at $902, and that's probably $US. The book CAN be shipped to Canada, but at that price I'd expect it to be delivered to my door by MY choice of member of Eileen's Lounge, at Amazon's expense.

I didn't check eBay; I have heard that sometimes stuff via eBay can be quite flaky.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Well of course it has strings. The little hammers have to hit something. So a piano is often considered both a string instrument and a percussion instrument.

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

kdock wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 19:35
Well of course it has strings. The little hammers have to hit something. So a piano is often considered both a string instrument and a percussion instrument.
Something else they didn't teach us in programming school!
Although with these recent releases of Windows, i have often felt (ha hah!) like hitting something.
Cheers
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, pianos have strings but not made of cat gut. They are made of the finest steel wire.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 19:24
kdock wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 19:35
Something else they didn't teach us in programming school!
Although with these recent releases of Windows, i have often felt (ha hah!) like hitting something.
Cheers
Chris

Code: Select all

Dim sResp as String
Dim sChris as String
If sResp = "felt like hitting something" then
	sChris = "hammer."
ElseIf sResp = "felt like hit by something" then
	sChris = "string."
End If
MsgBox "Today Chris is the piano " & sChris, vbOKOnly, "What is Chris today?"
Not my best code, but I threw it together very quickly. Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

kdock wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 19:43
Not my best code, but I threw it together very quickly. Kim
Untitled.png
Thank you, Kim, for making me feel like forte again!
Cheers
Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Code: Select all

Dim sResp as String
Dim sChris as String
If sResp = "felt like hitting something" then
	sChris = "hammer."
ElseIf sResp = "felt like hit by something" then
	sChris = "string."
Else
        sChris = "player."
End If

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 23:14
Untitled.png
Thank you, Geoff, for this everlasting compliment.
Given the link at the head of this thread, that is the ultimate compliment :threadhead:
Cheers
Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 22:56
Thank you, Kim, for making me feel like forte again!
Would that you were piano
though...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 13:54
Would that you were piano
Nah then :scold:
Cheers
Chris