If this doesn't bring a smile to your face AND tears to your eyes, I give up!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

If this doesn't bring a smile to your face AND tears to your eyes, I give up!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: If this doesn't bring a smile to your face AND tears to your eyes, I give up!

Post by Rebel »

That was fantastic! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: How did you find this wonderful gem? :thankyou:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: If this doesn't bring a smile to your face AND tears to your eyes, I give up!

Post by John Gray »

I was led to the inescapable conclusion that she ought to play harpsichord rather than piano, because it has no pedals to cause trouble... :smile:
However, she'd have to play something better than Chopin! :fanfare:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 05:41
That was fantastic! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: How did you find this wonderful gem? :thankyou:
Hi Rebel, and I am glad to see this morning that we still have one sane member of Eileen's lounge (grin).

The short answer to your question is "by random chance", but since I just wrote the world's 20,003rd article on "Free Will", I am not so sure.

The longer answer is "by YouTube's recommendation algorithm".

I was minding my own business, exploring the link between Newfoundland and an Amelia Earnhardt monument in Port Burry, South Wales (and of course the etymology of the name of that place), and thought to start my daily backup run. I have recently re-installed WinAmp and decide to do something about the annoying popup message (rename the DLL popup module), and got diverted to a utility CLamp (a command-line interface for WinAmp). I don't know what triggered my diversion to Michael Davis on YouTube, although I confess to finding his deadpan comedic style wonderful. I suspect that the video of Elaine Rodrigues was generated by the sidebar from YouTube's algorithm.

I wasted no time (well, really, 8:33 to 8:42 with rounding errors MUST lie between eight and ten minutes, and the video is only 8m42s, right?) in sharing such a professional performance with the few (well, to date, the ONLY) members of Eileen's Lounge who can appreciate such professionalism.

For more than thirty years I have preferred amateur theatre to professional because (a) it is easier on the wallet and (b) there is more scope for seeing a professional recovery from mishaps, whether it be a trip on a step on stage, a forgotten line, or an bright orange electrical cable that drops from the heavens.

Now please excuse me; I have to watch that video just one more time ...
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 18 Aug 2021, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 06:53
I was led to the inescapable conclusion that she ought to play harpsichord rather than piano, because it has no pedals to cause trouble... :smile:
However, she'd have to play something better than Chopin! :fanfare:
Alright then, TWO sane members ...

As far as I am concerned, she could do anything - even make a meal from the current contents of my 'fridge - and it would be a success.

I need more people like that, with the persevering spirit, in my life. I think that is why I admire garden plants so much - no matter what I do to them, they keep on growing!

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

The farewell hand-waves and smiles around 5m50s.
The two folks who missed the front-row performance (6m05s) will never be late again.
Les yeaux! at 6m20s.

I rest in hope that the stage crew were called back at the end of the performance to receive a deserved standing ovation.
Cheers
Chris

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thank you for sharing, Chris.
A true artist
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

RonH wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 09:44
A true artist
Absolutely. This performance blurs the lines between "amateur" and "professional" based on a distinction about monetary payment.
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
... she ought to play harpsichord rather than piano, because it has no pedals ...
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=harpsichord+p ... 0-1&ia=web
'nuff sed.
C :evilgrin:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 12:19
Peddlers on the harpsichord
gaaaah! You made me go lookup "Korobeiniki" in a dictionary.
Peddlers led me to think of Bicycling, and i was anxious to spinet in another direction.
Cheers
Chris

P.S. Nice avatar. What inspired that?
C

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 11:19
John Gray wrote:
... she ought to play harpsichord rather than piano, because it has no pedals ...
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=harpsichord+p ... 0-1&ia=web
'nuff sed.
C :evilgrin:
Any self-respecting harpsichord does not have pedals; the two knobs/levers at either side of the keyboard on a double-manual harpsichord perform a vaguely-similar function to one of the piano pedals.
Pretty soon you will be telling me that this is the way to play an oboe!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 15:05
Any self-respecting harpsichord does not have pedals;
Any self-respecting pianist comes equipped with TWO competent stage hands who between them take a piano recital to a new dimension, and at least one of the stage hands is wearing a jacket and tie, although not necessarily in that order.

And just for the record, we were discussing Eliane Rodrigues, not whether or not a harpsichord with or without pedals could be said to be respecting, self- or not as the case might be.

:evilgrin: I really must protest against this tendency to stray off-topic in threads in Scuttlebutt, the most serious of all forums in Eileen's Lounge. Scuttlebutt is where we all share in probing the depth of human knowledge, no matter how shallow the pool.
With as much respect as can be mustered at short notice, :grin:
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

So why did you bring mustard into it? We having hot dogs?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 19:00
So why did you bring mustard into it? We having hot dogs?
Bob, I've seen a picture of your Hot Dog, and I'm not at all sure that I want to approach him/her with a butcher's knife, let alone a barbecue spatula. We are nowhere near Mustard, of Dijon or otherwise!

PAX!

Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 12:48
A visit to the barber that morning...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 19:25
ChrisGreaves wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 12:48
A visit to the barber that morning...
Well, he replied, trying to stay on-topic, it obviously wasn't The Barber of Savile. :rofl: :rofl:
Cheers
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

There you go starting a row again!!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 17:59
:evilgrin: I really must protest against this tendency to stray off-topic in threads in Scuttlebutt, the most serious of all forums in Eileen's Lounge. Scuttlebutt is where we all share in probing the depth of human knowledge, no matter how shallow the pool.
With as much respect as can be mustered at short notice, :grin:
Hey Chris ... It arrived!!! :hairout:
MPHGResized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobArch2 wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 12:49
Hey Chris ... It arrived!!!
Well then, Bob, SO HAVE YOU!

Now, witch is your favorite scene with logic ?
Cheers
Chris