Calling all Astronomers ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Calling all Astronomers ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

The pictures are stunning and given my limited knowledge of the universe, they make sense to me.
In the high resolution images I can see details that mean nothing to me, but I can see that a wizard astronomer on seeing the images (Dr Becky for example), might exclaim "Wow!" and cc the link to all her colleagues and friends.

But once the dust has settled, in a manner of speaking, how do Wizard Astronomers really look at these revelations?
Do they look at the coloured images as we do, but see more in the image-interpretations from Durham University, or do Wizard Astronomers go back to the radio data and perform their own arcane analyses before they get to say "Wow!" to their colleagues in the staff room?

The closest analogy I can supply is when I see a chart showing today's prophet-of-doom scenario. I might cock an eye at it, but I don't get really excited unless I can crunch the source numeric data myself in a spreadsheet. That is, my first glance evokes "That's Interesting", but it takes re-analysis of the source data before I get excited.

Thanks
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Re: Calling all Astronomers ...

Post by Graeme »

I'm in the wow as soon as I see it camp!

The image is just a couple of false colour bury blobs but the violence of the event that caused the jets and the size of the whole thing is unimaginable! That's the wow!

13 terabits of raw data per second! That's another wow!

I've been to the Irish one. It's at Burr Castle where the Leviathan 72" reflecting telescope is.

Dr Morabito's insight and ability to interpret what she sees is pretty impressive too!

Here's some bed time reading if you like. https://phys.org/news/2021-08-detailede ... ealed.html

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/