a one click wonder

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

a one click wonder

Post by stuck »

This one is not all my own work. I did take the photo and I did do the one click that applied a 'preset' but the magic in the preset is the handiwork of, and was shared by, another user of the photo editing software I use (DxO).

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: a one click wonder

Post by John Gray »

Looks like the underside of a bridge over a canal. Pocklington, perhaps?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 18:31
Not Pock.

:whisper: I thought you knew the name of the village I lived in?

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Here's another.

Ken
PS can you see the dragonfly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 18:46
PS can you see the dragonfly?
Yep

Nice effect!
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

stuck wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 18:36
John Gray wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 18:31
Not Pock.
:whisper: I thought you knew the name of the village I lived in?

Ken
I do indeed, but it looked more canalous than riverous...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I initially thought you were trying your hand at pencil sketching, Ken.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

You have a very good 'eye' for image and cropping, Ken. Excellent results. I think the dragonfly is a modern drone ... probably taking an image of you :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The original B&W preset that was shared can be tweaked to introduce some colour. Here's an example of my colour version.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Like an old postcard!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Yes!

Pity I can't fully correct the perspective of the cathedral though. If I do, the top of the spire is lost off the top of the picture.

Ken

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Have you tried Perspective Efex in the latest version of NIK Collection from DxO?

Yes, it's made to work inside PhotoShop, but the filters do work with other graphics programs. I use Affinity Photo myself, but wouldn't you know that Perspective Efex was built specifically for the way PhotoShop works, so I have to use it as a stand-alone program.

As a test, I downloaded your photo (forgive me) and did a quick run at it. It made the photo a little smaller, and did that tilt but I didn't have to trim anything away. I think your vignette effect made that possible.
Stucks cathedral upright.jpg
DxO also makes Viewpoint which is a big brother to Perspective Efex and can be purchased individually. Just sayin'

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

:whisper: And I love the effect you've achieved with these photos. Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

kdock wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 23:48
Have you tried Perspective Efex...
No but I do have DxO Viewpoint (and DxO Photolab), which is how I got the perspective to where it is.

The problem with is that when I framed the original photo I wasn't thinking in terms of needing to correct the perspective and thus leaving a fair bit of empty sky at the top of the frame to permit that. I was more concerned with just getting the whole thing within the frame. The spire is the tallest in the UK (404 ft) so even with my widest lens (17 mm on a crop frame, 27 mm equiv. on a full frame) I was having a hard time. You can only step back so far before you run out of room.

I do have the Nik collection but only the first (half-baked) version that DxO released after they acquired it from Google. The filters are available within PL but I don't use them there. I use them within Affinity Photo as, to me, it makes more sense to use PL for what it was primarily designed for, as a RAW converter and then switch to Aff. Photo for pixel editing, which is it's main function (yes I know it too has a RAW convertor but it's not even close to what PL can do). Having said that, it is a custom DxO PL preset that creates this effect. NB the preset requires both PL Elite and Film Pack Elite.

Ken

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I seem to remember that with an old version of Photoshop CS5 that I have one could increase the canvas size of a picture to give more space around one or more margins of the picture.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

The current NIK collection is pretty darned good and works inside Affinity Photo (except for Persp. Efx). I haven't bothered with Photolab as I don't have a camera that shoots RAW anymore. Maybe one day. My run at your photo seemed to straighten it, but yours has a wonderful contrast to it that I lost using the filter. Preset or not, as it was custom, and I assume your doing, you're still responsible for the lovely effect. :thumbup:

Kim

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

kdock wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 02:49
...I assume your doing...
Only a small bit. The original B&W 'engraved' preset was someone else's work (see the thread at DxO I linked to). Another person then tweaked that file to create a colour version. However, they made the tweaks in PL4 and so the preset they then shared is not backward compatible with PL3, which is where I am but, based on what they'd said done,it wasn't hard for me to make my own PL3 preset.

Ken