Only in Ireland

Leif
Administrator

Only in Ireland

Post by Leif »

The day after his wife disappeared in a kayaking accident, an Irishman answered his door to find two grim-faced constables.

"We're sorry, Mr. O’Flynn, but we have some information about your dear wife, Maureen,” said one of the officers.

"Tell me! Did you find her?" Michael Patrick O’Flynn asked.

The constables looked at each other and one said, "We have some bad news, some good news, and some really great news. Which would you like to hear first?"

Fearing the worst, Mr. O’Flynn said, "Give me the bad news first."

The constable said, "I'm sorry to tell you, sir, but early this morning we found your poor wife's body in the bay."

"Lord sufferin' Jesus and Holy Mother of God!" exclaimed O’Flynn. Swallowing hard, he then asked, “What could possibly be the good news?"

The constable continued, "When we pulled the late, departed poor Maureen up, she had 12 of the best-looking Atlantic lobsters that you have ever seen clinging to her. Haven't seen lobsters like that since the 1960's, and we feel you are entitled to a share in the catch."

Stunned, Mr. O’ Flynn demanded, "Glory be to God, if that's the good news, then what's the really great news?"

The constable replied, “We're gonna pull her up again tomorrow.”
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Only in Ireland

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 15:34
The day after his wife disappeared in a kayaking accident, an Irishman answered his door to find two grim-faced constables.
Thank heavens this wasn't a joke about Bonavista Residents! :laugh: :rofl:
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Chris: have you ever worked at the Bonavista Social Club (clever pun, eh?!). The review for 11 September 2019 says: "The waitresses were friendly but the people behind the counter all looked miserable."
Sadly it is "closed for 2020", so you must now be out of a job... :sad:
"u ok, hun?"
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 10:16
Chris: have you ever worked at the Bonavista Social Club (clever pun, eh?!). The review for 11 September 2019 says: "The waitresses were friendly but the people behind the counter all looked miserable." Sadly it is "closed for 2020", so you must now be out of a job... :sad: "u ok, hun?"
Hi John!
http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Tripping/Dr ... /index.htm then search for "Bonavista Social Club", about 7/8 the way through.

"CG: ... it was (sob!) closed for the season"

I have no idea why the people behind the counter all looked miserable, unless it was because I wasn't there spending BIG and buying you a meal! Right now all the 4-month tourist season places look sad, for a variety of reasons, not all related to the political shutdown crisis.

FWIW my diary entry for Sep 11 2019 reads in full: "Slept badly; awake from 4, rose at six. GM arrives at 9:55 leaves at 10:10. Dishes are washed. IO am sitting around, cold. Cindy Abbot phones about the cheques. $1+ each but I figure that they will be needed at some time.
To the bienale. Three out of four ain’t bad. Sandra in the Ryans Museum; Shirley (Birchey’s Cove/Walkhams) in the Ryans Salt Store; slave trade, and a metal frame of a house. Home for lunch at 1pm. Stroll around Ryan Premises"

I am back at home today, :sad:, because I don't understand your pun :scratch:
Maybe dog-sitting affects my mental state more than we had guessed? :shrug:

Cheers
Chris
Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Chris:
Spoiler
Buena Vista Social Club is an ensemble of Cuban musicians established in 1996 to revive the music of pre-revolutionary Cuba.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Not my pun, o Chris, but presumably that of the "Bonavista Social Club" naming themselves, perhaps, after the "Buena Vista Social Club".

Ah - I see that Hans has pre-elucidated! :thankyou:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 12:26
Spoiler
Buena Vista Social Club is an ensemble of Cuban musicians established in 1996 to revive the music of pre-revolutionary Cuba.
Thank you Hans, for this pre-emptive albeit non-prejudicial pre-elucidation, (to quote part of John's response!)
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 12:36
Not my pun, o Chris, ...
"O Chris"?!!???
Why the vocative?
Sociably Yours
Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Why the vocative? Because you deserve it! :clapping:
John Gray

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 07:05
Why the vocative? Because you deserve it! :clapping:
:blush: Oh John! :blush:
(and all you got was a secondtwo-hundred and thirty-five thousand eight-hundred and fiftieth -hand clip)
Cheers
Chris