How well do you know Perth, Western Australia?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

How well do you know Perth, Western Australia?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

SMH.png
The image is shamelessly stolen from an SMH web page whose text reads in part "High seas have smashed into beaches along much of the WA coastline, including Perth.".

Which poses several questions:-
(1) Assuming that that is the Perth Skyline, how did Perth migrate to the vicinity of Fremantle, and how did Rottnest get towed to within a mile or two of Cottesloe beach while they were paving the Rottnest foreshore?
(2) I have body-surfed in waves bigger than the ones shown here. Is this the best surfing that WA can produce?
(3) The challenge, though, was often distinguishing such "rivers" from "good old-fashioned fronts". If so, would an easier challenge be to determine the difference between Perth Water and the Indian Ocean by comparing their surface areas?
(4) Assuming that my Physics teacher Mr. Puzey wasn't lying to us back in 1962-63, how do you get a rainbow to the North of your viewing point?

(signed) "expat" of Bonavista.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: How well do you know Perth, Western Australia?

Post by John Gray »

Presumably the photo was taken before the recent massive cyclone which had a major negative effect on Perth and its environs...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: How well do you know Perth, Western Australia?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
27 May 2020, 17:32
Presumably the photo was taken before the recent massive cyclone which had a major negative effect on Perth and its environs...
Well, yes, and i am prepared to accept that rainbows can appear in cyclonic conditions and all. Also, according to the tabloids, that the earth's magnetic field is changing (as always) and ....
But how can we get a rainbow to the North of Perth when viewed from South Perth?

I should add that the Perth skyline has changed since 1993 when last I viewed it from South Perth, but I am pretty certain that that is Perth, with a bit of Kings Park peeking in at the left-hand side.

It sure doesn't look like the Indian Ocean, but.

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle