bean a disaster

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

bean a disaster

Post by stuck »

It was unseasonably cold last night, our runner beans are not happy.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: bean a disaster

Post by HansV »

Oh dear...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It's forecast to be even colder tonight so there's not much hope of them some how hanging on and putting out new shoots. We're going to have to start again. Never had this happen to runner beans before. I suppose it's just another example of the unprecedented times we are living in.

Ken

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Not sure about the rest of the countries in the Northern Hemisphere but here in the GWN the rule has been for a long time ... “no planting before May 24th due to possible frost conditions”
Regards,
Bob

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

BobArch2 wrote:
13 May 2020, 16:30
. . .here in the GWN the rule has been for a long time ... “no planting before May 24th due to possible frost conditions”
Here in Northern Vermont (south of you, Bob, but it gets harsh here) the rule is beans, tomatoes and peppers, squash family, and all others that are very frost sensitive, wait till June 1. Peas and other equally frost hardy can—supposedly—go in as early as Apr 15. But I've never had any luck doing that. Every time I've tried we've been flooded with rain and the seeds have rotted in the ground.

@ stuck, good luck with the second planting.
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bean and gone. :sad:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And for BobArch2 it is "bean there, done that".
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

You may have to think of growing them in a beanhouse. :crazy:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

They are definitely has beans
StuartR

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

StuartR wrote:
13 May 2020, 21:57
They are definitely has beans
Or no has beans?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Now that Garden Centres in England are allowed to reopen, we are going to investigate our local one later this afternoon. We expect a long queue but we might be able get some bean plants there. Yes, an expensive way of re-stocking the bean patch but it would mean things wouldn't be as far behind if we have to regrow from seed.

The extra expense won't bankrupt me, I've not exactly be a en spending money on anything else recently :grin:

Ken

edited to add: the strike-through tags around the a in 'beaen' are not working correctly, please can an Admin have a look, ta

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I've moved a discussion on strike-through tags from this thread to a new thread in the lounge matters forum
StuartR

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Possibly a little early to plant out runners (unless protected) anywhere north of the M4 because of the threat of late frosts - as you have discovered :sad:

However, if you didn't manage to source some new plants dont despair. From past experience A) try cutting back the obvious dead bits you may find they sprout and throw up another leader from the bottom leaf joints. B) plant some new seeds directly into the ground along side the damaged ones. You will be amazed how soon they germinate and will catch up through the summer (as long as fairly warm and kept watered) and you should be picking more or less the same time as usual :fanfare:
Jeff

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

We've usually had our runners out by this time in past years but this is the first time this has happened to us.

Good news though, we were able to get some new plants this afternoon. That of course means that Jeff will be right and the existing plants will come back from the dead and then come summer we'll have so many runner beans we won't know what to do with them all.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I was 10 years old or so, I had a small "school garden" plot. My mother made me abandon it after eating runner beans for a week straight. :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
14 May 2020, 18:11
...eating runner beans for a week straight.
I think I'm with your mother on that. However, my wife is of the opinion that you can never have too many runner beans.

Ken

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Up until last September I had an allotment for a few years. We had more runner beans every year than we could eat, give away or blanch and freeze. Whilst I am of the same opinion as your wife Ken, a restructured back garden this year will make vegetable quantities more realistic!

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Ours are in but still too scared to show their faces :grin: Hey we had a little snow here last week.
They are seeds from a 100+ yo ancient (well oldish) master and genetically the same. Came from a relative in southern England who got them from a relative aso ...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

LisaGreen
5StarLounger

Post by LisaGreen »

Gonna do a runner!!!

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Speaking of Bean a Disaster...
MV5BMTM2NzQ1Mzc4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTk3NjA1MQ@@._V1_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.