Shellac

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Shellac

Post by DaveA »

Nice job of restoring to the wood finish!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Jezza wrote:
05 May 2020, 00:41
Wow, thanks for remembering me and your lovely responses.
Funny thing is, Jerry, I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how you were doing? Glad to see you!

Want to add that I've always enjoyed my avatar you created with the twinkles sparkling! It was in celebration from waaaaay back when I'd reached a certain number of posts!

Beautiful woodworking projects! Well done! :thumbup:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Nicely done, Jerry! How will you colour (because you are Britsh) the metal bits?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

BobH wrote:
14 May 2020, 19:57
Nicely done, Jerry! How will you colour (because you are Britsh) the metal bits?
That is a very good question which I battle when doing restorations and that is keeping the character of the piece I am working on. It is very easy to get carried away with sanding or using new screws or nails and using modern glues on older furniture.

This clock case has not been built as a delicate and decorative piece but has been built as an industrial item used in an industrial setting, hinges are not cut neatly into the door but filed in at an angle for speed on the production line. You can see on the picture that the hinges are steel and the front plate is brass plated steel (I believe) as the daily wear and tear as the handle was pulled to clip the worker's card it rubbed. However, the lock on the glass door is brass but the tumbler cheap steel.

It took the best part of a day to strip, grind and buff 4 hinges for the two doors, so after a long explanation, they are a mixture of steel and brass.
withhinges.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it