Electric cars just became cool!

Rudi
gamma jay

Electric cars just became cool!

Post by Rudi »

Tesla is making a new version of the Roadster sports car.

This is one electric car I wouldn't mind taking for a test drive!!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Electric cars just became cool!

Post by HansV »

If you can get one, of course. They seem to be having problems producing their regular cars...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

...and their current focus seems to be completely on semi's too. :sad:
Regards,
Rudi

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Surely electric tractors are even cooler?

An Indian firm also announced one on 7th September, which was featured on BBC Radio 4's "On Your Farm" early morning programme today.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What will be next? Electric trains?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:What will be next? Electric trains?
:laugh: :clapping:

How about electric planes?!
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Now that would be great, but I suspect that the battery would have to be very large and heavy...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just tell passengers that no luggage is allowed. :evilgrin:
Regards,
Rudi

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Checkout https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/ ... ne/493085/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Impressive, but I don't see a commercial airplane like that anytime soon...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I remember Dave.
There was a thread about this a while back where we could check in the progress of the flight "live".
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'm sorry, but I don't see electric vehicles as viable until there are tremendous strides made in battery life.

I've read - 'tho I cannot recall just where at the moment - that if 20% of automobiles were replaced by electric cars of today's capabilities the amount of electricity that would have to be generated for charging them, which must be done much more frequently and take a lot longer than refueling gas and diesel vehicles, would increase demand on the grid beyond its current capacity. In fact, what I remember from the article is that carbon emissions from increasing grid capacity would increase by about 50%. And, that's with only a 20% replacement factor.

I'm no electrical engineer. I know little more than that current Tesla owners (I have met 2 who are MDs in my little city) who report having to install very expensive wiring at 240VAC capacity which drive up their electricity bills significantly. When pressed, neither could, or would, tell me how the electricity cost vs fossil fuel cost compared. I suspect that if one added up all the costs of acquisition, maintenance and operation, that electric powered vehicles would not be economically viable for average family incomes. Add to that the limited range (~350 miles, I think) of a full charge and extended recharge time (several hours), and a trip across the US (~2850 miles) would take significantly longer than the same trip by fossil burners and cost a great deal more. At least in the US, we have huge reserves of fossil fuel that can be extracted and processed less expensively and therefore sell at better prices than electricity. Yes, there might be a cost - as yet unknown, much less quantified - in burning fossil fuels due to atmospheric effects of their use; but it cannot be measured as can costs of generating and consuming electricity. Some would have us believe that RF emissions from transmission lines have a hidden cost to human health that cannot, as yet, be measured or quantified; so there are unknowns in both technologies, it seems.

Admittedly, I'm expressing an American viewpoint; but America is perhaps the greatest consumer of motor driven vehicles on the planet. It is certain that other environments and populations will present their own challenges. How would Africa use electric vehicles? Australia? Russia with Siberia?

Where's the business case for this technology? I agree that it is a fascinating subject and worthy of scientific investigation and even commercial development when feasible, but I do not see a case for it today or the near future. Non-fossil fuel electricity generation cannot possibly satisfy the demand imposed by a significant increase in electric cars, from what I've read. I could see the value in a very small (think amusement park bumper cars and Toyota Priuses) and very inexpensive electric vehicles in urban areas as an addition to a family garage that already has a road vehicle, but not what Tesla are building.

Will someone knowledgeable on the subject please straighten me out?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have to agree with you BobH.
Here in the Northwest of the US, we have lot's of hydro power, the power plants will not be able to keep up with the demand for these vehicles!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:Now that would be great, but I suspect that the battery would have to be very large and heavy...
They could always fly into storm centres and pick up a :free: recharge from a lightening strike! :electric: :burnup:

Alan

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

There have been lots of studies regarding gas vs, electric cars and how much it really costs to run electric.
About the ONLY number I've seen is it costs about 12 cents a KWH to charge an electric. after that number the variations are all over the lot.
You can make numbers say about anything you like. to make your argument.
2 plus 2 equals eight?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

AlanMiller wrote:
HansV wrote:Now that would be great, but I suspect that the battery would have to be very large and heavy...
They could always fly into storm centres and pick up a :free: recharge from a lightening strike!
...storm centres... (or maybe storm malls) :laugh: :thumbup: :clapping:
Regards,
Rudi