How’s my (Moto-X Android o/s camera) logic?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

How’s my (Moto-X Android o/s camera) logic?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I crest a rise. Ahead of me and facing me a car is stopped. I stop, too, to admire the moose in the roadway.

I grab my camera, and because I am modern and up-to-date with technology, I flip my wrist and feel the vibration as carpal tunnel syndrome approaches. There is a message on the screen, covering the potential image of my moose “The camera has stopped working”.
One remedy is to Power OFF the smart phone, and power it back ON again, by which time the Moose is in La Scie.

It seems to me that if the smart-phone Android o/s is smart enough to tell me that the camera has stopped working, it ought to be smart enough to unload the camera software and reload it automatically.

There are no option buttons here; just the informative message. Nothing at all that I can see to do.
It’s true that I might open up Settings, Aps, scroll to Camera, tap, and then choose “Stop”, confirm with “OK” and then reload the software, but that would take more time than powering off and then ON.

I rather suspect that the SD card was full, at that time, but regardless, it feels as if someone is standing on the shore with a life belt yelling at me “You’re Drowning!” instead of tossing the lifebelt to me.

(signed) "Confused"
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: How’s my (Moto-X Android o/s camera) logic?

Post by Rudi »

Chris, I can certainly understand your logic; and when you need a camera for a landmark moment, one expects it to be available, but don't drown yourself in your logic too much. Just chalk it up to one of those "it wasn't to be moments". Maybe in the greater scheme of life, it was not in your destiny or purpose to capture a moose on a memory card. If you think of it in this grand scheme way; it certainly isn't worth spending energy in despondent contemplation. Have a bourbon and grab a good book and the missed moose and camera failure will soon be swallowed up in life. Right...I must stop now as I feel poetry coming forth from the depths of somewhere....
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

According to Google, you are probably not alone. There are various solutions on offer - e.g. Fix Moto X Camera Not Working | smartphonefixes.com - but none appear to include a quick-as-a-moose fix.

Perhaps you would be better off with a dashcam?
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Android error messages are often less than helpful. My phone once displayed a message saying "Unfortunately time has stopped"
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:Android error messages are often less than helpful. My phone once displayed a message saying "Unfortunately time has stopped"
That must have been at the 2000 Millennium? :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:...There are various solutions on offer - e.g. Fix Moto X Camera Not Working | smartphonefixes.com - but none appear to include a quick-as-a-moose fix....
Thanks Leif. It has happened often enough now that I have found out how to fix it:-

When the little pop-up box appears saying "Your camera has stopped working", I just tap the "OK" button in the pop-up screen.
The pop-up box disappears and the camera continues to take photos.

I suspect that, like me, the camera gets lonely from time to time, and just seeks re-assurance.

:scratch:

Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Chris, I can certainly understand your logic;
Thanks, Rudi. I didn't want to launch into a discussion of the "On Error" construct while I was on holiday (from being retired), but it sure seemed like a similar catch-22 to me.
Just chalk it up to one of those "it wasn't to be moments".
fair enough.
Here's what happened later that day:-
Nfld_IMG_20171008_144915265_HDR.jpg
So here I am in Springdale. The white car in front of the beige car is party pulled off the lane, and the driver appears to be undecided as to whether to turn right or continue straight across the intersection.
The driver of the beige car is too timid to pull out and go past the white car.
The driver of the red Chevy Trax sitting impatiently behind the beige car is muttering “Oh for Pete’s Sake! Pull out and go around him. He’s probably an idiot tourist from Toronto”.
Seconds later, the impatient driver of the red Chevy Trax spots the moose using the pedestrian crossing on its way into Tim Horton’s to ask for a Coffee Mousse. (Sorry!)
Maybe in the greater scheme of life, it was not in your destiny or purpose to capture a moose on a memory card. If you think of it in this grand scheme way; it certainly isn't worth spending energy in despondent contemplation. Have a bourbon and grab a good book and the missed moose and camera failure will soon be swallowed up in life.
Oh Shut UP already! (HUGE grin)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Pehaps it was going here:
Moose.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Pehaps it was going here:
A long, long walk after a bracing swim, ... :sad:
I'd end up in Tim Horton's, too. :coffeetime:
Cheers
Chris