I love my smart phone

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

I love my smart phone

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I love this new technology.
Yesterday while sheltering from the rain in the Eaton Chelsea (you'll all want to know why it was raining in the Eaton Chelsea, I know ...) and just co-incidentally making use of their free WiFi, I discovered, by striking the wrong key, that I don't have to type text or email messages by the one-fingered method.
The one-fingered method runs at half my usual rate.

I can SPEAK and the device types for me.

So I tapped out a few Text Messages to my poor long-suffering friend Norma, then went home to practice in the privacy of my own home.
Untitled.png
Before too long I plucked up enough courage to sing a text message, with the results that you see above.

As I type this with TWO fingers, my smart phone is downloading English(Aus) and French, too.

I have already found out that if I speak in French while using the Eng(US) recognition, it delivers a wonderful message, in English, natch, that makes no sense at all.

At last! A means at getting my own back at all those idiots who send me unsolicited text messages ...
(singed) "Once burnt, twice ashy" of Tooroontoo.

P.S. I have also worked out how to get it to insert a period at the end of a sentence.
You say "Period".
Now I need to work out how to tell Norma that the forecast for our Friday trip is Cloudy Periods.
:scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: I love my smart phone

Post by viking33 »

Glad you are in love, Chris! :love:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Well DONE, Chris!! :icecreamcone:

You might well have just discovered a new way to encode messages hiding them from authorities snoopers. It would have to work like a one-time pad where your communications partner knew ahead of time which language you would speak whilst using the English speller (or some intricate combination of languages).

:chocciebar: :chocciebar: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:Glad you are in love, Chris! :love:
Hi Viking.
I've been in love with technology since I was:-
4 years old: A wooden pencil case (1) whose top slid back and allowed the top drawer to rotate outwards.
6 years old: A #3 Meccanno set (later upgraded each Christmas with 3A, 4A, 5A etc. (what a surpise ...))
10 years old: A plastic wooden-pencil case with four dials that you could rotate and would have been a pretty good adding machine had I not already mastered mental arithmetic. The pencil case came with a pencil sharpener which was an essential for those of us who tried to use a pencil to subtract values from the accumulated total. We mulched our 6 grapevines with cedar shavings that year, as I recall.
20 years old: digital computers with 80-column punched cards.
22 years old: The IBM 1401
etc etc etc.

But I never expected to fall this heavily for a smart phone!

(1) Yes. For wooden pencils

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Well DONE, Chris!! :icecreamcone:
Tomorrow, Bob, in Medina.
You might well have just discovered a new way to encode messages hiding them from authorities snoopers. It would have to work like a one-time pad where your communications partner knew ahead of time which language you would speak whilst using the English speller (or some intricate combination of languages).
I'm with you on this one.
Finally I can write programs in VBA faster than i could ever type (2-fingered) AND I can abandon that old obfuscation project I've been working on over the past twenty years.(1)

(1) It has taken this long because when i come back to it i always have trouble understanding my VBA code ...(2)

(2) As do, so they tell me, everybody(3) else.

(3) "everyone"?

Cheers
Chris