Please congratulate me

LisaGreen
5StarLounger

Re: Please congratulate me

Post by LisaGreen »

PJ_in_FL wrote:Oh how I remember those fun days of muddling through cryptic Job Control Language statements to run my simulations. We had a little Fortran based program called CSMP, Continuous System Modeling Program, that I had fun with. So good in fact that my manager had to call me in and ask why I had used 2 HOURS of CPU time on our 370's and 303X's in the past month. Most jobs ran in under 3 seconds or so. Seems his budget didn't account for people actually simulating all the variables in a Monte Carlo systems analysis. <sigh>
Things got much nicer when I got away from the mainframe that used CMS/SPF and moved to VM/360 and REXX! Mike Cowlishaw quickly became our hero when he published that language.
Did you read that NASA is looking for fortran programmers?

LisaGreen
5StarLounger

Post by LisaGreen »

Did you see this???

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39803425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lisa

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

LisaGreen wrote:Did you read that NASA is looking for fortran programmers?
I do remember being able to speed up Fortran programs by writing the I/O routines in assembly language. But I think their I/O might have advanced more than a little since then, and my software improvements might be somewhat redundant. And I'm an Aussie, so ineligible for a cut of the lucre. :sad:

Alan

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

LisaGreen wrote:Did you see this???

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39803425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lisa
LOL!

My geek days are long past. Now I just spend my days helping build the hardware the code runs on. Much easier and I don't want to lose any more hair from pulling it out when the compiler abends on every line of code.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

AlanMiller wrote:I'm an Aussie, so ineligible for a cut of the lucre. :sad:
It's hardly lucre, more like petty cash!
I seem to remember a Linda Evangelista quotation on this topic...
John Gray

If you are having problems with solitude, you are not alone.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Chris:
:bananas: :hairout: :flatcat: :coffeetime: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :cheers: :drop:
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

John Gray wrote:It's hardly lucre, more like petty cash!
I'd have to agree. And it's one thing wanting something for nothing; NASA is expecting 10 to 10,000 times faster ... for (next to) nothing! "Bon chance", I'd say.

Alan

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:... ask why I had used 2 HOURS of CPU time on our 370's and 303X's in the past month. ...
Brings back memories.
I remember, one night (2am to 6am was my time slot) running my "matrix determinant calculator" program and then running it a second time to see if it came up with the same answer ("Do the six holes in the output cards match up?").
Given that I used to choose best-of-three or best-of-five when doing it with pencil and paper, I was amazed that the computer was so clever (laugh) to get the same answer twice in a row, that I ran the program twenty times that night, trying to see if it would make a mistake, as I did, when it got tired.

So you see, I was pretty naive back then, too! :laugh: :rofl:

Cheers
Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:I congratulate you Chris. Did you celebrate by eating a tub of ice cream? You should have! :clapping:
Thanks Skitterbug.
Yes, I guess I should have, except for circumstances :-

(1) I am not sure of the exact day in May 1967, so I would have had to eat a 2-litre brick of ice-cream every day in May, just to be sure and
(2) I am seriously trying to lose weight, so nowadays I buy a two-litre brick of Chapman's Butterscotch Ripple only on days when I discover that my ten-day running average(1) has dropped another pound.

Cheers
Chris
(1) Don'r get smart with me! You know exactly what is meant by a running average! :rofl:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:...7 using the Watfor implementation of Fortran IV.
I remember WatFor.
In September 1982 i arrived in Toronto and found a Waterloo interpreter of APL on a Commodore computer that was, in essence, a keyboard that I could fit into my briefcase.
In Adelaide we had spent three years developing APL on a good-old 96KB ICL 1903A, and here was a MUCH flashier APL, that fit into my briefcase ...

Sigh!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Nostalgia isn't what it used to be...
Yes it is, and I can still remember when it used to be what it was!

I also recall a Burroughs 6700 that had to "run up" for seven hours. We thought it was "getting up to speed", but now I suspect that most of that seven hours was spent in Formatting the new disk or drum.
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

LisaGreen wrote:Did you see this??? http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39803425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Lisa
I liked this bit:-
Significant improvements could be gained just by simplifying a heavily used sub-routine so it runs a few milliseconds faster, said Nasa on the webpage describing the competition. If the routine is called millions of times during a simulation this could "significantly" trim testing times, it added.

Just think, if you run the code millions of times, you could save ... SECONDS!

Quentin Van Abbe and I re-wrote some code in the BHP payroll program for the IBM 1401.
Our boss, Bob Moon, listened politely, then sent us away to multiply our loop-savings by the number of employees at BHP multiplied by 26 pay-periods per year.
He was a great teacher was Bob ...

Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:This month marks my fifty years in programming computers.
May 1967.
FORTRAN II on an IBM 1620 at the University of Western Australia.
(Later on I found and purchased a copy of Daniel D. McCracken's book)
Punched cards.
No printing on the output.
No printers.
This means I am noe entring my fifty-first year of maiking the moost appauling errours and mithtakes. :evilgrin:
Congratulations, Chris!
(And thank you for making me feel youngish for a second or two. :groovin: )
(Pascal on BSD Unix, SunOS, Ultrix etc. (and only because it was compulsory) an eon after you.)
(Printers: Reminds me about the discussions; people complaining about the printers, then some would say that they had to run 4 floors up & down to get to The printer, and then others would chime in: printer?)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:I congratulate you Chris. Did you celebrate by eating a tub of ice cream? You should have! :clapping:
Thanks Skitterbug.
Yes, I guess I should have, except for circumstances :-

(1) I am not sure of the exact day in May 1967, so I would have had to eat a 2-litre brick of ice-cream every day in May, just to be sure and
(2) I am seriously trying to lose weight, so nowadays I buy a two-litre brick of Chapman's Butterscotch Ripple only on days when I discover that my ten-day running average(1) has dropped another pound.

Cheers
Chris
(1) Don'r get smart with me! You know exactly what is meant by a running average! :rofl:
(GASP) I never would do a thing like that........ :nope:

I do wish you the best of luck in the 'weight' department! Hope it doesn't take long! :rofl:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Argus wrote:(Printers: Reminds me about the discussions; people complaining about the printers, then some would say that they had to run 4 floors up & down to get to The printer, and then others would chime in: printer?)
Printers? We used to dream of owning a printer!
We had to supply our own chisel bits to get our output carved into stone slabs. Today's younguns have no idea what carting around a tablet means!

Alan

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:... they had to run 4 floors up & down to get to The printer, and then others would chime in: printer?)
yep!
Also submitting job-decks by 10a.m. each morning so that the van driver could pick them up and drive them to the computer five miles away ... :flee:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:Printers? We used to dream of owning a printer!
Oh dear.
Does this mean i have to track down The Four Yorkshiremen Sketch and then try to lure Hans into watching it again, again?

Cheers
Chris