Serendipity

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Serendipity

Post by ChrisGreaves »

In order to play with DVD/MP4 file conversions I need a regular DVD to play with.
I grab one labeled "Buster Keaton" off a trolley at the local library, take it home.

The movie is 1927 "College", but one of the two extra features is "The Scribe".

At the 0m6s mark is a shot of what I suspect is the first of the TD centre buildings going up on King Street.
At the 0m9s mark a lovely old Toronto streetcar.
Toronto [640x480].png
At the 3m18s mark - and this is what caught my eye - a map of :fanfare: Toronto, with Toronto Islands and the Humber Bay visible.
Just the day before I'd picked up my 42"x65" map of Toronto, circa 1878. In those days Dundas street ran only as far as Shaw street (not right across the downtown core), Bay street ran only as far north as Queen Street, ... etc. etc.
Home_IMG_20170504_140331834.jpg
That's a one-foot plastic ruler to give you an idea of the scale.
My UPS print shop prints on fabric, so I might get a second copy run off and go back to sleeping "on the sheets streets".

The serendipity part?
The DVD case notes tell me that this was Buster Keaton's last filmed performance.

(signed) "Happy Camper" of Toronto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Serendipity

Post by BobH »

If you check wikipedia for Mr. Keaton I think you will find that he was in films far more recently, even into the 1960's. He died in 1966. He was a year younger than my dad and was dad's favorite performer.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:If you check wikipedia for Mr. Keaton I think you will find that he was in films far more recently, even into the 1960's. He died in 1966. He was a year younger than my dad and was dad's favorite performer.
Right. This film (a safety film, filmed in Toronto) was made in 1966, the year he died.
It was his last filmed performance.

Cheers
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sorry, Chris. I must have misread your post!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Sorry, Chris. I must have misread your post!
Not a prob, Bob. When you're my age ... :evilgrin: