Product reliability - non smart phone

RonH
SilverLounger

Product reliability - non smart phone

Post by RonH »

The return of Nokia to the phone market is a tick for reliability.
Capture.JPG
No doubt all have heard of the Nokia 3310 which is to make its second debut into the simple phone market and for those 'non-smart' users I can offer a comment on reliability. My physio forgot jeans pockets and gave Nokia a very good clean in the washing machine. Hmm, what to do next? So into the forced fan electric cooker oven on a low temperature to dry it out ... and it did :clapping:
This was some years ago but even today it is still the business phone for speech and texting, though it has that 'stone washed' appearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Product reliability - non smart phone

Post by HansV »

It's an interesting product - although most of us have a smart phone nowadays, some people only need to the ability to make calls and to send/receive text messages. And I can see people who have a smart phone getting one of these as an inexpensive backup phone...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Brings back some memories.
At least these can fit nicely into the pocket and don't bend or explode. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I was checking through my phones and I have kept a couple of old Nokia. Rather than changing the (oh so small) SIM on my smartphone for a local SIM when we are out of Norway, I plug the temporary SIM into one of them ... nice big SIM slot and card insertion for my shaky hands.

Pity that manufacturers don't think of 'age' when they make SIM cards that you can hardly see :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

And it still does not entice me to go out and get one.
At 72 I have do not have a cell phone and do not see any real reason to.
Of course the kids and grand kids think I should get one, but the wife has hers, if I need one and I am with her, she can make the call.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

I was carting round a Nokia 3410 in Europe in 2010. One look was the best way to beat off street vendors selling fancy data plans.

Several described it as a "football phone" - still works after playing a game of football with it.

Alan

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Those were the days my friends when you could, with luck, get 30 minutes out of a phone ... that's if you could afford 'talk time' or find a usable base station.
Dream on ...
Capture.JPG
I parted with this baby just 6 months ago. So sad ... to large to put into a pocket, to large to loose, beautiful credit card sized SIM and what a battery ... impossible to set it on fire :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

AlanMiller wrote:I was carting round a Nokia 3410 in Europe in 2010. One look was the best way to beat off street vendors selling fancy data plans.

Several described it as a "football phone" - still works after playing a game of football with it.

Alan
My better half still uses a Nokia 3410! - and I still have my old one as well; although I have progressed (?) to a 'smart' phone - it is nice to be able to check your e-mails 'on the go' Or is it! :flee:
Regards,
Keith

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

aekyall wrote:- it is nice to be able to check your e-mails 'on the go' Or is it! :flee:
I don't recall people sitting round a dinner party, mesmerized by their 3410s!

Alan

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I got my first mobile phone in 1993 :scratch:
Cheers, Claude.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Claude wrote:I got my first mobile phone in 1993 :scratch:
One of my past 'sins', Claude, was to be responsible for the original mobile (car) phone team selling these monsters in an Australian city. I recall we had a very high profile customer base because, part from filling up the boot with transmission equipment plus large cable looms to the handset, they cost over $A5000. Because we sold them we were very privileged to be users for demonstration purposes ... if one could get coverage!

Some 60km away across water is another city and my team secured some customer orders in this area. One day the Engineering Manager asked me why were they selling these car phones there. "Because they work", was the obvious reply. To which he said "But the network has not yet been designed for there yet".
We had to cancel the orders pending the design (spend?) of the network ...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

IIRC I got my first one in 1992. I was a truly portable phone, not car installed; but it was constantly on the auto's power because battery time was so short.

Not knowing how their technology has advanced, I would suggest that one use of limited feature cell phones would be for security/alarm systems. Back in the late '90s we put cell phones with very little pre-purchased time (or none at all - I don't remember) on all our security systems replacing land lines which could, too easily, be compromised thus negating the security we were trying to put into effect. Because they had batteries, they would function even if building power were lost. Of course, all the detection and alarming components were also battery powered and sent us an alert when building power failed.

Does anyone know if current technology for security/alarm systems incorporates cellular phone technology?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Yes Bob, plenty of variants of alarm/security using cell phone technology.
Just today my lady mentioned that her ageing mum, presently using an alarm system via the wired fixed phone, is having her home security alarm upgraded to cellular. She presently has a simple wrist waterproof button that she presses if she needs assistance, which helps her to continue to live i her own home ... feeling secure.
Not sure yet if her new system means that she can be monitored when away from her home but I don't see why not with the addition of a two way mike.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the info, Ron!

Do you know if the cellular communications are integral to the alarm system or an add-on adjunct? A smartphone (as opposed to the Nokia in the OP) might provide both Internet/wifi/BlueTooth and voice telecommunications if designed/built to exploit all the features.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I like this. I have only my work smart phone with no home phone. It would be nice to have a phone to take out to bars or whatever without having to trouble with an expensive phone. As long as I can get a pay as you go plan.
Who will you Inspire today?

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

BobH wrote:Thanks for the info, Ron!

Do you know if the cellular communications are integral to the alarm system or an add-on adjunct? A smartphone (as opposed to the Nokia in the OP) might provide both Internet/wifi/BlueTooth and voice telecommunications if designed/built to exploit all the features.
These days pretty much 'anything is possible'. But to the best of my knowledge, security alarms for the aged are usually kept as simple as possible so that they do not need to involve themselves with 'smartphone operations'. The cellular aspects would be a built in feature. I am waiting with interest to see just what my lady's mum will have installed ... it apparently will also include a door opener feature for the security/medical personnel so that they do not need to retain entry keys on file. If I can remember, I will post info about the new install sometime down track.

On a separate security setup ... some years ago a past colleague of mine had a cellular house alarm installed at his holiday cottage to replace the fixed phone connection previously used. In this instance, the cellular aspect was connected to his existing alarm system e.g. it simply replaced the phone line. Since he always used his mobile when visiting he cancelled his fixed line contract to the cottage. I need to check but I recall that the cellular alarm number was identical to his smartphone number ... hence no need for two cellular contracts although I'm sure some extra costs were involved!

Beam me up Scotty looms closer and closer!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

RonH wrote:Those were the days my friends when you could, with luck, get 30 minutes out of a phone ... that's if you could afford 'talk time' or find a usable base station.
Dream on ...
Capture.JPG
I parted with this baby just 6 months ago. So sad ... to large to put into a pocket, to large to loose, beautiful credit card sized SIM and what a battery ... impossible to set it on fire :grin:
Hi Ron

If I am not mistaken that is a 5210 (UK) and was the first modern phone to have a GSM signal (the 1611 if memory serves was the first GSM but it was like a brick).

Myself and 2 friends about 20 years ago I guess realised that with the new concept of free upgrades many companies were throwing away perfectly good phones so we started to offer free collections and then we would refurbish the 5110 and for a nominal sum to cover transport, refurb and shipping we sent them out on a charitable basis to South Africa, for at least a year we must have sent over 1000 a month.

We had to stop in the end because people lie car phone warehouse etc. saw the potential in offering deals for upgrades for any type of phone which they would then refurbish and sell on for vast sums to emerging economies.

Sorry to ramble on but the picture bought back some good memories

Cheers
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your ramblings. I think my early phone per picture was the 5110 which I used over many years in Australia. Still had it in use when I relocated to Norway during 1999. Had a belt carry case ... felt real big but it took the weight if I tightened my belt. I am sure you get the drift!

I actually parted with it and others not so long ago, taking them to one of our boy's toy shops who recycled. Just after I placed them in the special container, the 'recyclers' from overseas came in and 'rescued' them ... since which the boy's shop has tightened its security!

Great job you did with old working phones.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.