Woman, hit by car, sues Google for faulty directions

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

While reading another post here I noticed this one.

Regards

John

HansV
Administrator

Re: Woman, hit by car, sues Google for faulty directions

Post by HansV »

Does she also follow every directive from her car navigation system?
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My car navigation system once tried to get me to use a foot-passenger-only ferry across a river. I should have followed the directions and sued, but I didn't think of this in time.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The only time I've tried to use a Sat Nav was because it was built into a hire car I had at the time. I set it to direct us from somewhere in south London to the Kew area. I'd driven the route several times previously and my wife was even more familiar with it. I turned the thing off about half way there because it wasn't suggesting a sensible route and the kids were questioning why we weren't 'going the right way' and that was building to a BIG argument.

That was about 18 months ago but I wonder if I could still sue for the trauma and distress my wife & I suffered as a result of the kids blind faith in technology?

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

When getting directions from our house on Google maps, they have one go through a residential are instead of turning right. This involves in a couple of stops in addition of getting some people lost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Dave,
I'm intrigued by your map. Obviously you live in North East part of whichever town you live in (Seattle?) - since almost every street and avenue either has NE before or after it's name/number.

But tell me about SE 104th St. and 126th Ave SE that appear in the North West (or North Middle) bit of your map - assuming that up is North?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well the SE streets are in the County (King County) and the NE streets are in the City of Renton. We live in a narrow strip of King County between Newcastle and Renton. You can also see that the numbering changes.
I have added an attachment, and the blue line is some what the city/County line look like. Then you can see the numbering and naming pattern fall in place. I did NOT make a error, but, the area South of SE 100th and North of NE 22nd, is newly acquired area by the City of Renton, and the streets have not been updated.

Note: Newcastle is a some what new city (about 10 years now) and has NOT changed their streets names and numbering, they are still using the base line out of downtown Seattle, where all the street naming and numbering began many years ago.

Edit, added note about new boundary line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Since OP JohnH is an :aussie: I didn't initially read this, but I see it's Park City, UT, USA, where I have walked and more often driven on occasion. The irony to me is that the area is very cycle friendly, and the city has a specific walking and cycling trail map here: http://www.parkcity.org/Modules/ShowDoc ... mentid=658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, you'd have to be nuts to walk down 224, especially if I was driving. :anigrin:
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Goshute wrote:Since OP JohnH is an :aussie: I didn't initially read this
What have you got against reading posts by Australians?
Regards

John

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

JohnH wrote:
Because according to an arrogant American who was sitting near me at a communal table at a restaurant last week, Australians are all foul-mouthed pseudo-Englishmen. (The Bride had to persuade me not to call him out and possibly prove him right.)
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Goshute wrote: Because according to an arrogant American who was sitting near me at a communal table at a restaurant last week, Australians are all foul-mouthed pseudo-Englishmen.
Fair enough. That is pretty accurate..but isn't that a good reason to read their posts?
Regards

John

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

I have gotten into the habit of using another mapping website (okay Mapquest) to verify Google maps ever since....

1. I was taking Garbette to a birthday party in another town and we ended up on a dirt road drivng past farms which dead-ended into road construction. As I manuvered around the "local traffic only" sign, I noticed, over to my right, a handy/dandy freeway which I should have used.

2. Once again, Garbette. I was taking her to some important pre-college tests at another high school. For reasons known only to google, instead of heading straight down the road to the high school, we turned left, then right, into a housing tract, turned right again, went "straight" (in our housing tracts it's a long and winding road), and then turned left...back to the road we were previously on. Since Garbette was nervous about her test, she was screaming at mom by the time we got there. The next time we went (they let you take the test again so you can bump up your score which, in my mind, kinda defeats the purpose of pre-college tests), we knew not to turn left but laughed seeing the number of cars lined up to do just that and also the poor people trying to turn left out of the housing tract back onto the main road.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Goshute wrote:
JohnH wrote:
Because according to an arrogant American who was sitting near me at a communal table at a restaurant last week, Australians are all foul-mouthed pseudo-Englishmen. (The Bride had to persuade me not to call him out and possibly prove him right.)
That's one of the reasons I won't sit at a communal restaurant table. I ask for an outer table, so I can sit with my back to the wall. :flee: :cheers: Love my privacy!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

arrogant American wrote:... Australians are all foul-mouthed pseudo-Englishmen.
Reminds me of:

She: I really like Australians.
He: Why?
She: They are very well-balanced.
He: Well-balanced?
She: Yes. They have a chip on each shoulder!
He who plants a seed, plants life.