Early American Architecture

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Early American Architecture

Post by mishmish3000 »

Hey, I'm reading (and enjoying) Hugh Morrison's Early American Architecture, and wondered if anyone else had read it.

He mentions the Aptucxet Trading Post in Bourne, MA... I was wondering if it's still around. The book was written in 1952. The trading post had been rebuilt but dates from 1627!

Morrison also mentions windmills along the coast of New England. There are only a few left (one was in use up until WW2, though). Anyone ever spotted any? The Old Mill in Nantucket might still be there.

It's an interesting book from a historical perspective, but also sort of fun because every so often, Morrison works in a little snarkiness and/or sarcasm into his writing. It's as though you were being walked around old buildings with a cantankerous uncle who explained things to you but also let you know when he thought people were just plain idiots. :laugh:
Anne

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Early American Architecture

Post by Rudi »

Nope, not read it. Sorry Anne
I think the last book I read from cover to cover was a Marvel Comic. Superman was cantankerous from time to time, but I wouldn't have minded having him as an uncle.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Morrison also mentions windmills along the coast of New England. There are only a few left (one was in use up until WW2, though). Anyone ever spotted any? The Old Mill in Nantucket might still be there.
I have only seen them on farms.
el_pic.jpg
Regards,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
John

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

1627? Why over here that would come under modern history!

Here are some windmills. See if you can work out whether there was any convention for the sails to rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise, when viewed from the front.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Anne,
The Aptucxet Trading Post is still there, along with a few other old village buildings. Big tourist attraction along with the Sandwich village buildings and old glass works.
The Cape has a number of remaining working windmills but they are also tourist sites that grind corn for resale. One in Orleans, Brewster, Yarmouth, Falmouth, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and Bourne, that I can think of, off hand. More that have been converted into resident houses.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John Gray wrote:1627? Why over here that would come under modern history!

Here are some windmills. See if you can work out whether there was any convention for the sails to rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise, when viewed from the front.
On the older ones, it would determine if the grain is ground fine or coarsely. The direction of rotation would produce that result, depending on how the mill stones were cut, with one stone having rougher cuts and the other a finer surface.
( the newer power turbine types produce either AC or DC, depending on direction :grin: :laugh: )
BOB

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Having a windmill as a house would be interesting!!!
Thanks VikingBob!
Anne

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

There's quite a few of them in Google Images...
S11.jpg
S11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

I wonder if those were actual windmills or houses that were built to look like windmills?
Boy, as windy as it was here today, a windmill would have been quite busy!
Anne

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Meanwhile, in the UK: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30004491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anne

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Woodchester Mansion is quite a fascinating place because it was abandoned before the inside was properly fitted out. In the main hall, and probably other parts of the building, the tools and equipment of the builders were simply left untouched. Quite intriguing!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John Gray wrote:Woodchester Mansion is quite a fascinating place because it was abandoned before the inside was properly fitted out. In the main hall, and probably other parts of the building, the tools and equipment of the builders were simply left untouched. Quite intriguing!
I read your post before I read Anne's link that had some explanations and right off, thought that it has to be because of some English ghost haunting the place. Guess I was right?
BOB