Preventing digital eye strain

Rudi
gamma jay

Preventing digital eye strain

Post by Rudi »

Quoted from here.
I just thought it is some good advice to share...

Feipel recommended the 20-20-20 rule.
For every 20 minutes spent looking intently at a computer screen, take a break for 20 seconds and look at something 20 feet away.
It relaxes the muscles within the eye.

Also, match the luminosity of the screen to the luminosity of the room.
The American Optometric Association advises keep the computer monitor positioned just below eye level, and 20 to 28 inches from the eyes.

Increasing font size can also help.

Another good habit is one that might sound pretty obvious, though folks readily admit they forget: Blinking.
Don't forget to blink. It's possible to get so engrossed in work, that even the mostly involuntary action of blinking doesn't always happen. Not blinking means eyes aren't getting the lubrication they need to stay moist and healthy, Feipel said.

On the product side, there are a few ways various companies have devised to combat eye strain.

For one, there are amber or yellow-tinted glasses which block out blue light.
Though, Feipel joked, good luck getting kids to wear those. For adults, the glasses may help, but it should be noted that filtering out all blue light is not a good option either, as humans need some blue light physiologically, and also to maintain proper color perception. Another option relating to glasses, Feipel said, is the Crizal Prevencia, a clear lens coating for glasses that blocks 20% of blue light.

There are also filters that go on top of smartphone or tablet screens, which block out bluelight.
Harvard published findings that blue light can negatively affect sleep -- blue light suppresses the body's ability to produce melatonin, the hormone that helps people fall asleep. Interfering with the body's circadian rhythm can have long term effects. They recommend dimming the light and if possible, avoiding screens for 2-3 hours before bed.

There are apps like Rest (iOS) or EyeDefender (PC only) which let users set intervals at which to take breaks, and then issue reminders when it's time to step away from the computer for a few minutes.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Preventing digital eye strain

Post by HansV »

I don't have digital eyes yet, but when I finally get around to getting them, I'll keep this in mind. :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:laugh:

When you do get around to getting them, select the zero type digital eyes. They look more "human" that the type One's, which are actually intended for cats; though not very many persons are aware of it!
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

:thankyou:
Regards,
hlewton

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Readers of this thread may be interested to know that a green-light sleep mask is being trialled seriously in the UK and the Czech Republic for sufferers of diabetic retinopathy.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That doesn't turn them into the Green Lantern does it?
Regards,
Rudi

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

On a more serious note...
Spoiler
ScreenHunter_82 Nov. 21 14.51.gif
Now that's a brave guy. :salute:

I found this on the ICanHasCheezburger site, under the "Americana" tab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anne

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

You could say his all starry eyed.

I :salute: him too!
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

John Gray wrote:Readers of this thread may be interested to know that a green-light sleep mask is being trialled seriously in the UK and the Czech Republic for sufferers of diabetic retinopathy.
Thanks. On the off chance my son and his wife, both eye doctors, hadn't seen this I linked them to it.
Regards,
hlewton