The Great Wisconsin ice sheet

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

The Great Wisconsin ice sheet

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Earlier this year I sat on a park bench alongside the Ohio River, the spot where the Great Wisconsin Ice Sheet terminated some 11,000 years ago (forcing the Ohio to turn through about 180 degrees and drain into the Gulf of Mexico instead of the Arctic Ocean).
Untitled.png
So there is this hill in Toronto's West End, where I've walked and driven and bicycled could be said to be 11,000 years old, because until 9,000BC the hill was buried under a two-mile sheet of ice.

Since that time, of course, in Toronto, every winter it snows and ices up.

And every winter some city slicker (in this case literally) decides that they know better.
This year a police officer came along to encourage newbies to try the ascent!
So much for "To Serve And Protect"!
CBC News video"CBC reporter Trevor Dunn found a hill in a residential area in the city's west end where drivers kept heading up, then sliding right back down. Even neigbhours pleading with drivers to not attempt a run at the hill on Humbercrest Boulevard and Langmuir Crescent were ignored. The result was a 20-car pileup of vehicles at the bottom."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: The Great Wisconsin ice sheet

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Since that time, of course, in Toronto, every winter it snows and ices up. ...
It does that too, in Buffalo.
Just in case The Toronto Star wakes up and issues a correction, here's a snapshot of what appeared in this morning's Toronto Star:
Untitled.png
Now, you can call me crazy (PM only please!!) but 500 people shoveling 220,000 metric tons of snow seems like awfully hard work. If my maths teacher was any good, it's about 400 tonnes each.

Still and all, it is Buffalo Bills fans we're talking about, right? :duck:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 20 Nov 2014, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:It does that too, in Buffalo....
And it's going to go on doing that in Buffalo, too.
Untitled.png
This is a (noon New York time) snapshot of the National Weather Service? animated radar map.
The "streamers" are travelling towards the north-east.
Last night's streamer is past the eastern end of Lake Ontario, and a later streamer is filling-in any missing gaps in I-90 (a.k.a. "The Big Road") West of Buffalo and any minute now IN Buffalo and later this afternoon East of Buffalo.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:And it's going to go on doing that in Buffalo, too.
Untitled.png
Here's a photo taken early this morning on the I-90 just outside Fredonia. :laugh:

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

ScreenHunter_59 Nov. 20 11.47.gif
Anne

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That's a nice ice sheet Chris. All 921 bytes of it.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.