How Many Recognize these Phrases and their Contexts

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Re: How Many Recognize these Phrases and their Contexts

Post by mishmish3000 »

If anyone tells you to use kitty litter on your walk or driveway, they're confused. It actually makes it much worse in terms of traction, since most kitty litter is clay-based. Just sayin', with all this snow about.

"Up to snuff and twice as dusty..." is a saying I heard from someone who grew up in Alabama. The first part is fairly common in the South, but rarely do you hear the whole phrase.

I also say "Fair to middlin'" when someone asks me how I'm doing. There was a security guard at work who'd always laugh when I'd say that, saying he never hears anyone say that anymore. (It means I'm doing okay.)
Anne

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

mishmish3000 wrote:If anyone tells you to use kitty litter on your walk or driveway, they're confused. It actually makes it much worse in terms of traction, since most kitty litter is clay-based. Just sayin', with all this snow about.

"Up to snuff and twice as dusty..." is a saying I heard from someone who grew up in Alabama. The first part is fairly common in the South, but rarely do you hear the whole phrase.

I also say "Fair to middlin'" when someone asks me how I'm doing. There was a security guard at work who'd always laugh when I'd say that, saying he never hears anyone say that anymore. (It means I'm doing okay.)
Have heard of used "Up to snuff" and also used "Fair to middlin" but admittedly it has been a while since I used either of those terms. I may have to start again just so my grand kids will become familiar with them. They are curious. When I say something that they have never heard of they want to know what it means. So no time like the present to start teaching them. I once said, "charge it to the dust and let the rain settle it" which is difficult to explain to an adult that has never heard that phrase let alone a child.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I stopped today to pass howdy with my neighbor. He asked how was today, if I was up to snuff. I said, "Yes. And twice as dusty. How 'bout you?"

And I received the reply, "Fair to middlin'." I say, "That's good 'cause you're in the short rows now."

I use these old terms on youngsters in check out lines and reception desks just to watch their reactions. I'd say that 90% or more have never heard them.

I also ask them how they are doing. If a male answers, "Pretty good" I quickly disabuse them of the notion that they are pretty but acknowledge that they might be good but they still have to prove it to me. This almost always gets a laugh back and breaks the ice between and young man and an old one.
Last edited by BobH on 20 Nov 2014, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Those are great phrases, BobH and hlewton!
Anne

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

My kids told me I use old fashioned language and phrases.

I told them that was a lot of poppycock.

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

:laugh: :laugh:
Anne

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

A bit late to the thread, but I too remember many of these phrases, albeit that they were verbalized slightly differently.
Some of those phrases about cod liver oil and kids medicines brought back distressed memories :laugh:

My mom used to give me a table spoon of malt (the sticky honey form of it) after downing that fish oil! It helped a bit to remove the taste in the mouth!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.